How to test hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigbear

hello
Does anyone know how to test a hard drive for faults or is scandisk good enough?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Every hard drive manufacturer has a diagnostics program available for download from their site. Scandisk is completely inadequate.

How do I find the name of my hard drive manufactor? Is it the same as my computer name?

First Name
Jay
Usually if you download and run Everest home on your system it will tell you amazing things about your system. Among those things it will tell youthe manufacturer of your hard drive and even give you a link to the manufacturers website. It will also tell you many other things like your keycode for your windows installation.

here is a link you can download everest home from.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

That was amazing!! Thanks Dustyjay! I have learned so much from this site!!

bigbear

dustyjay said:
Usually if you download and run Everest home on your system it will tell you amazing things about your system. Among those things it will tell youthe manufacturer of your hard drive and even give you a link to the manufacturers website. It will also tell you many other things like your keycode for your windows installation.

here is a link you can download everest home from.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
The info was very helpfull but is there anyway of testing a hard drive as I did not find anything in Everest unless I am missing the point and maybe I have to use the manufacters site?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Everest will only allow you find out the manufacturer or model of the hard drive. Once you do that you can go to the manufacturer's website to download the actual diagnostics. What drive did Everest say you have?

bigbear

Hi
This is my hard drive details

[ ST380021A ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description ST380021A
Driver Date 01/07/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File disk.inf

Disk Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Seagate
Hard Disk Name Barracuda ATA IV 80021
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 80 GB
Disks 2
Recording Surfaces 4
Physical Dimensions 146.56 x 101.85 x 26.1 mm
Max. Weight 635 g
Average Rotational Latency 4.16 ms
Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Max. Internal Data Rate 555 Mbit/s
Average Seek 9.5 ms
Track-To-Track Seek 1.2 ms
Interface Ultra-ATA/100
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 100 MB/s
Buffer Size 2 MB
Spin-Up Time 10 sec

First Name
Jay
Did everest home not show you the manufacturer and model of your hard drive? You are using a windows XP system arent you? As Triple6 said you go to the manufacturers website for their specific test programs.

edit: we must be posting at the same time. sorry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts