How to transfer data from HD to another computer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

parman

I have this dell dimension 4600 that has a bad motherboard. I read an article that the dell dimension 4600 is the 10th worst computer of all time. Well, we have had alot of problems with this computer since we bought this 4yrs.ago. My question is : How do I transfer the data from the HD on the old computer to a new one. The HD is ok! We don't want to spend any more money on this 4600 series dell.

Depending on the amount of data:

- Network the two pc's and transfer files
- Use a flash drive
- Burn the files to CD
- Take the drive out and attach as a slave to the new pc ( attach it to the secondary channel . . the one with CD/DVD drives )
- Put the old drive in an external enclosure and attach to the new pc via USB

simpswr's list is pretty exhaustive but I expand it a little bit as follow

The second choice of using a flash drive can also be an external hard disk. The idea is to attach another external storage device to the Dell and extract whatever information as required. The external hard disk, with a eSata enclosure, has the advantage of transferring data at speed 2 to 3 times faster than a USB connection. Most eSata external enclosures are shipped with adaptors for converting a Sata connection for external eSata use. On Laptops PCMCIA adaptors for eSata are also widely available.

Majority of flash drive capacities peaks at about 32 Gb but external hard disk can be up to 1TB for 3.5" and 320Gb for 2.5" and is surely big enough to recover every binary bit of the resident hard disk.

An external hard disk also allows the resident hard disk to be cloned to produce a 100% mirror image.

As 'simpswr' says, bang it in as an extra drive in your new one.

If the new computer is a P.C. and not a laptop, then your easiest solution is to take the hard drive out of
the old one, and put it into one of the spaces in the new one. I would expect to find an additional fitting
already on one of the IDE cables. (don't forget the supply lead)

Unless your new computer is a laptop.
Then you would have to get the old drive to run in order to transfer the files. This would usually be done
by using another PC, or you could (as mentioned) put it into an external enclosure for hard drives.
If you use another PC, then you can transfer files to the Laptop in various ways, a flash drive is probably
the easiest.

Programs.
Programs on the old drive which ran alright in its original PC, are going to need a re-install into their
new environment, unless they are self-contained programmes which run from their own folder (not many),
most will need to interact with the new system in order to work.
You will need the program's 'Installation File' to do this.

Best of luck with it.
John :)

parman

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR ANSWERING MY POST! It seems I have alot of options. If I bought an enclosure and removed the old HD and then installed into the enclosure and connected by USB does that mean it would copy all data to the new drive in new computer? That would be the quickest way to transfer data. Is that right?

personally, i would add it as a second hard-drive. it wont cost you anything, and you wont waste a hard drive, also, unless you want to move it around it looks neater.

also to answer your question it would be the quickest way to transfer data should you still want to put it on the new drive

Once you put the HD in the external enclosure and plug it into the new PC via the USB port, it will be recognized as an additional HD (usually drive D: or E: ) in My Computer.

Then you can access/copy the files as needed to the new computer's HD.
It won't copy everything automatically for you though. It would be a manual copy/paste-drag/drop process.

The external enclosure option is good if you like the idea of having the portable drive to take with you to friends/family's homes or for use as a place to store backup files/images.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online