1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Transfer Data from Laptop to Laptop!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siddhantam123, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. siddhantam123

siddhantam123 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I had some problems with my laptop and then i bought an external hard drve so that i could restore it. then i copied all this stuff into another laptop and got rid of the external hard drive.......now that my laptop is back in action after restoring ........is there a way out that i can transfer data just through cables from the other laptop to mine without using an external hard drive????

Please help me ........your help would be greatly appreciated.

regards

sid

2. t3h_s01j4

t3h_s01j4

you can set them up via LAN and create a network, make a shared folder on laptop A and access it on laptop B..

if you have a jump drive that would work too

3. siddhantam123

Thanks a lot for your time but can you please tell me in a step by step procedure how i can create a LAN.....I am sorry if my question is stupid....but i dont know how to do that.....PLEASE HELP.......i have a 64 MBflash drive and the data is 16 GB

4. t3h_s01j4

t3h_s01j4

well i guess the jump drive part is out of the question haha.. check out http://performit.co.uk/network/ its pretty confusing to explain how to set one up, but its easy to do yourself.. try that side or google it. if you still cant get it, let us know

5. siddhantam123

i do have a wireless router and i was just wondering if its possible to create a LAN and do it. i sincerely appreciate your interest and time in helping me out. looking forward to your reply. how easy is it???? as u can see i am not that good with all this stuff...

please help

regards

sid

6. brite750

brite750

might be hard to explain on a forum, what operating system do the two LTs have?

7. siddhantam123

both are on win xp pro and my email id is [email protected] if you want to send me some information. i shall provide u with all the info u need but please help

regards

sid

8. brite750

brite750

unfortuantely I have done it with Win2000, if you have both pcz on and have the router on, you pcz should be able to see each other, but i dont know where that is with XP, should be under My Network Places, computers near me, once you can see the other pc its just a matter of setting the folder or folders to share. It s pretty easy, I just am not that familiar with XP yet, just loaded it and got the network to work, but i have no idea how I finally got it to work.

9. siddhantam123

hey buddy thanks for your help.........you tried to help me out and i appreciate you for that. i shall try to follow certain things mentioned by you and see if i can do something and i once again thank u for ur time and interest

regards

sid

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

All you need is a crossover (ethernet) cable to go between the two laptops.Right click and enable sharing and change for all files you want to copy over. In My Network Places open "view workgroup computers" and click open the machine you want to copy from and copy and paste. I forgot to add Right click My Computer in each pc and choose properties and be certain both workgroups are the same either Ms Home or Workgroup and if not change one or the other to match.

11. bigbear

bigbear

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Point out that's a special ethernet cable--you can't just connect any ethernet cable.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have the router you can connect both laptops to the router then run the network setup wizard in windows on both machines. THen all you have to do is turn on shaqre files and printers in the wizard. You can then select which folders to share on each indiviual laptop. It really works quite well. THis is also a way ofr sharing an internet connection between the two.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right that's why I said "Crossover" cable.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Nah don't run the network setup wizard, they can already see each other and that can really mess things up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice