1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to transfer files to a USB port on HP Pavilion 8160

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kgarden, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kgarden

Kgarden Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion 8160. It has 2 USB ports in the back. I want to get rid of it, but do not want to loose my pictures on it. How can I transfer them to a USB memory stick? It came with Windows 95, but if I remember right I updated to '98.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Did you update it to Win 98 Second Edition?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP Pavilion 8160 desktop was introduced in 1997 and came with Windows 95 OSR2.
    It came with a 6.4 GB IDE hard drive and has 2 USB1 ports on the rear of its case.
    Neither Windows 95 or Windows 98/98SE had full support for USB.
    Even if that desktop is still functional and able to load its Windows operating system, I doubt a USB thumb drive will work in it and allow you to copy photos into it.
    Unless the hard drive has died, you may be able to retrieve the photos from it by connecting it to an external USB hard drive enclosure and then connecting it to a host computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kgarden likes this.
  4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You can still source USB drivers which will work in 98, so it's worth a try.

Kgarden likes this.
  5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    USB support was pretty much non-existent in Windows 95.
    It was "iffy" in Windows 98SE, depending on what USB support you found for it.
    It wasn't until Windows ME was introduced that full USB support became available.

If that HP Pavilion 8160 is running Windows 98SE and is still functional, you "might" be able to get a USB thumb drive to work in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Kgarden

Kgarden Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. It does work good, I just want to get pics and other things off it before I delete everything and give it away. I'll try the external USB hard drive.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if that HP desktop is running Windows 95 OSR2 or Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition.
    If it's running Windows 98 Second Edition, you "may" be able to get a USB thumb drive to work in it so you can copy your photos.

I was NOT referring to an external USB hard drive.
    I was referring to an external USB hard drive enclosure.
    You remove the hard drive from that HP desktop, then connect it to the enclosure, then connect the enclosure to a modern functioning computer, and copy the photos to it.

That hard drive is an IDE model, so make sure to get an enclosure that has both SATA and IDE connections for a hard drive.
    HERE are 2 that you can look at.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The second edition of windows 95 OSR2 has support for usb flash drives. If I recall correctly, a driver must be loaded that does not come on the install CD. Have you tried to use a flash drive? It will be slow however the flash drive should work. Simply copy whatever you want to the flash drive. Done.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW that was the big difference between win95 and win95 ORS2; usb support.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The very first computer that I bought in August 1997 was a HP Pavilion 8160 which came with Windows 95 OSR2.
    It's been 20 years, so my memory is faded, but I believe it wasn't until Windows ME was introduced that full USB support became available.
    If I remember correctly, Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98SE required installing some extra files or drivers to make USB devices functional.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you had to load a driver [that was not on the install cd] Other than that, usb should work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice