1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to transfer OS from current drive to a new one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jules_fc, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jules_fc

jules_fc Thread Starter

What is the best way to transfer my OS (C) Drive from my current smaller hard drive on to a new, larger model? I want to replace my desktop's current Western Digital hard drive with another model that has more storage space. I have a Gateway GT5228 Media Center Edition PC running a 64-bit version of Windows 7

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi jules,

There are two ways that come to mind: imaging the computer or installing the OS on the new drive.

You can use a hard drive imager, such as CloneZilla, to make an image of your entire hard drive and copy it to another drive. It works very similar to Norton/Symantec's GHOST product, but it's open source.

Alternately, you could always install Windows 7 on the second drive and use the Windows Easy transfer to move your documents and settings. This would require your programs to be reinstalled as well.

For ease of transfer, I'd suggest CloneZilla. =P

3. jules_fc

jules_fc Thread Starter

Thanks, really appreciate the quick response!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The hard drive maker will have a utility to clone your drive. You can use this OR you can use acronis true image. If you intend to make image backups of your drive, I would recommend using acronis. I have used just about all of the imaging apps; ghost, drive image, macrium, paragon, and acronis. By far acronis is the best of the bunch.

If this is just a one time thing, I would just use the drive maker's utility.

5. jules_fc

jules_fc Thread Starter

I just checked the downloads section on www.wdc.com and the Acronis True Image WD Edition Software is supported by Vista and XP but not Windows 7, would I still be able to use it or should I use another hard drive imager instead?

6. replay

replay

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win7 needs ver 2010 to work. The older ones are not supported in win7. You can download the 30day trial from the link provided by replay. If you like the app, newegg often has deals as low as $19 or so for the home ver.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice