How to transfer Thunderbird account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lexingtonlibrary

I use Thunderbird on one computer, and would like to use it on another household computer. I have downloaded the software and all the information from the first computer, and I need to know how to fill in the blanks on the second computer. (I have learned from techguy that my ISP RCN does not support this e-mail software, and even if it did their line is always busy.)

I thought I could just walk from room to room and fill in all the blanks, but so far I can't find server settings. I go to tools, then account settings, but server settings doesn't appear.

I'm using XP.

Can you help?

Thanks!

lexingtonlibrary,

Welcome to TSG!

The POP server information can be found by going to Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings.

The SMTP server information can be found by going to Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing Server (SMTP) > Edit.

Or you can use MozBackup.

lexingtonlibrary

But on my new one when I click on Tools and then Account Settings the only options are Junk Settings and Disk Space. There is also an option for Outgoing Server (SMPT). This last I think I filled in correctly by copying what was on this old computer.

How I got to where I am was using MozBackup which I think gave me all the contents of the files that were on the old computer, but it doesn't seem to have filled in any of these blank spaces.

I don't seem to be able to get to Server Settings.

Thank you for your help!

TerryNet

Terry
If you haven't created any accounts there won't be any (incoming) server settings. Click on "Add Account."

Easier is to just "clone" everything from the old computer. Copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\<account name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random 8 characters>.default to the same place on the new computer. Note that your <account name> may be different and the <random 8 characters> is almost guaranteed to be different.

lexingtonlibrary

This worked like a charm! I now have all my recent e-mail on the new (to me) computer. What I don't have yet are my folders and address book.

I suspect when I copy the contents of that file
C:\Documents and Settings\<account name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random 8 characters>.default

I will have everything in the right places.

I am very happy that I discovered techguy!

TerryNet

Terry
Careful! Doing what I said will replace all your recent messages with whatever is on the old computer. Copy the contents of the new computer's <random 8 characters>.default folder somewhere safe before doing the "clone." You can delete that stuff when you are sure you have everything you want.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online