1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to turn off a graphics card and re-enable the on-board graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spore, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spore

spore Thread Starter

What I really want to know is how to disable my Radeon HD 4350 graphics card, so that I can swap to Intel HD on-board graphics.

This is so I can compare the two on their Windows Experience Index.

Thanks

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You need to go to Device Manager and uninstall the Radeon card under Display Adapters, power off the computer and remove the Radeon card; then power on, boot and install drivers for the on-board card.

3. spore

spore Thread Starter

Thank you, and how difficult do you think installing drivers for the on-board graphics will be (also, when I installed the Radeon graphics card I only disabled the on-board, not uninstalled)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're wanting to go through a time-consuming process and a certain amount of risk just to see if there's any difference in the Windows experience index? :eek: :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. spore

spore Thread Starter

Well... yes
    All I really wanted to know was that if the Intel Integrated HD on-board graphics is better/worse than the Radeon HD 4350 I installed - because, when I installed it the Index base score decreased by 0.5 :s

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Is your computer getting better graphics quality and features from the video card than it is from the integrated graphics? That should be your main concern, and not what the Windows experience index number is. It's your computer though, so I can't tell you what to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. spore

spore Thread Starter

That is what I am trying to do with the Index numbers; assess the features and compare. I got the graphics card with the computer, so installed it immediately - I thought that integrated graphics were rubbish and a graphics card was the only way to satisfyingly play games such as Fifa 10. The degradation in Index numbers made me second guess...
    Thanks for your all your advice so far./

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The difference in the amount of video memory in the integrated graphics and in the video card may be why the index number is lower with the video card.

I'm not a gamer nor a video card expert, so my comments and advice is somewhat limited.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Irukku

Irukku

I'm with flavallee, you should measure the performance of your new card in-game, not in Window's Index. No matter what, your Radeon will be better than Intel HD on-board stuff. A lot better.

10. Electron2418

Electron2418

Well I think you Install newest driver for your graphic card and see difference. And windows index measure your overall performance not just Graphic but also HDD CPU ...., so it gave you performance of slowest part in your computer. To see real difference get some benchmark tools something like 3D mark.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Intel onboard video is at or near the bottom of onboard type video. Just use the real video card. If you are concerned with video performance, why did you install a low end video card? I would think you would install a more high end video card if you are concerned with game performance.

The 4350 is pretty much on par with the amd/ati 4200 onboard video however it is superior to the intel onboard video.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice