how to "turn off frames?"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

melias

i want to put a "turn off frames" option on my frame (like 'about.com' has). is there a generic code that will do that? i notice that sometimes clicking on it will send me back to a previous page. thanks.
~melias

...as I understand it, you have to build two different sets of pages, since a "framed" page is really several pages displaying at once. Or I guess you could just hyperlink to a simple-view version of your principal page.

If you do HTML, you might hit "View > Source" in your browser when looking at the two versions of a single page to see.

melias

thanks, down,
i have tried to look at the source of about.com's frame, but there's so much stuff there i can't tell which is for that particular option.
i'm thinking that a person might follow links away from my site but still be in my frames and want out. i did write a "no frames" version of my main pages, but that wouldn't help someone who was out of my site altogether. maybe they'll just have to know how to "open frame in new window" themselves.
~melias

If you dont want the frames to show up, you have to create 2 separate pages. You could set your main page to be nothing more then 2 links. One if the user wants frames, and one if the user does not.

If you would like the browser to open a new window when you click on a link, you could do this.

Code:
< a href="http://www.about.com" target="_blank">Goto about.com </a>
and it would be like this:
<a href="http://www.about.com" target="_blank">Goto about.com </a>

melias

okay, thanks, kknla--
i was hoping for an easy fix! but i guess i can make more "open in new window" links for the pages outside my site.
~melias

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online