1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to turn off safe mode in a command prompt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Son of Magni, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Son of Magni

Son of Magni Thread Starter

Ok, this is so screwed up you just won't believe it.

I had a problem that I won't go into now but I got to the point where I decided the only recourse was to re-install XP. After the install, it told me I needed to register before I could log in. Ok, fine. So I hit OK and it crashes. I figured out that it would let me log in if I booted into safe mode. At some point I set msconfig to automatically boot into safe mode. Now when it boots into safe mode I get the message requireing me to register, but then I get a message saying I can't register when in safe mode. But until I log in, I can't set msconfig to boot normally. So I'm stuck. Where do I find the ini or whatever file that is booting it into safe mode?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    well, if you can enter safe mode - go to run -> msconfig -> boot.ini -> and uncheck boot in safe mode.

You only need to activate windows, registring is optional.

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni Thread Starter

I guess I'm too pissed off to be clear. I can't get logged in in order to run msconfig. It says I have to register or whatever and won't let me log in. Also it's booting into safe mode and you can't register in safe mode and also can't re-install from the CD when in safe mode...

Ahh, actually you inadvertantly answered my question. I found boot.ini and turned off safe mode. Now my only problem will be that after I install XP again, it will say "You need to activate windows" and when I say OK, it crashes. Is there no way to activate from safe mode or some other way? The last time I had to re-install XP I thought it gave me 30 days again...
    SoM

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Welcome to Microsoft's idea of an improved system! :rolleyes: :mad:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!