How to turn off Startup Password in WIN98SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattpear

Here's a dumb question, so it should be easy to answer. I used to know how to do this, and where I found out how to do it, long ago. Strange how we forget things so simple. Anyway, I know there is an easy way to turn off the startup password check dialogue box in win98se. Could someone who remembers tell me how to turn this off? Also, if someone happens to remember, there is a way, a registry key I think, that will allow you to put the Control Panel access onto the Start menu, w/o having to go thru Settings. Does anyone know how to do this?

This looks like a great tech help site! I'm very glad I happened upon it! Keep up the great work because this is a very valuable service to those of us who are learning to master the computer.
Matt

Tada...!!! Here it is...heheh

Go into Control Panel and click on Passwords. Click on the "User Profiles" tab and check "All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings." I'm pretty sure that will eliminate the step of having to put in a password.

Hope this is helpful. :) :)

Also...not to sure about how to put Control Panel in the Start Menu. I remember reading something on how to put it there...it did have to do with creating a registry key. Memory fading...everything getting dark.....:) :) :)

Hi:Welcome to the forum.
Re password,there are two possiblities:

Right click on network neighborhhod and click on properties.
Con the config tab click windows logon in the primary network logon box and then click ok
When prompted to restart windows,click no
In control panel double click passwords.
Click on change passwords tab,click change windows password and then click ok

In the change windows password dialog box type your current windows password in the old password box,and leave the new password blank and confirm new password boxes blank,click ok and okClick the user profiles tab and verify that All users of this PC use same preferences and desktop settings option is selected.Click close.Restart windows.

If this doesn/t do it,Then:

My computer ,then network.You may see some or all of these:
Client for Microsoft networks
Client for Netware networks
IPX/SPX
netbeui
Tcp/ip
Dialup adapter.
Delete all except dial up adapter and tcp/ip

Restart PC
Hope this helps.

Hi, and Welcome to TSG!

If you don't want the Windows Password login screen to come up during startup, just enter a username, leave the password field blank, and click OK. Provided that you're the only user of this system, that should do it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which registry key to modify in order to access the control panel by the means which you've specified, but I'm sure somebody in here knows a way.

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online