How to un-partition a used hard disk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JosesW

I have been using my Toshiba HDD 1TB with my Macbook Air with no issues, having partitioned it when I first bought it.

Recently I wanted to transfer some files to a friend's windows 10 PC, but when plugged in, it would not read. In my troubleshooting, had clicked the option to partition the HDD to GTP. It still didn't work on the PC. Decided to transfer the files via dropbox instead.

Now when I plug the HDD into the Mac, I get the error message that the disk cannot be read. I am not sure whether the partitioning on Windows has made it unreadable on both Mac and PC.

Is there anyway to "undo" this partionining and make the HDD readable on my Macbook again?

Thanks! Am starting to panic but trying to keep calm, as there is a lot of important stuff on the HDD.

Couriant

James
You may be able to switch it back but most likely the change before has rendered it unusable

Mac uses a differant format than windows and can't be read unless you have some special software. I tried to read some off my son's Mac and even with software I could only see pictures and some text files. When you partition the HDD to GTP you wiped the hard drive and put a new format on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online