how to undo "open" command in windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

timmeke_nr2

I hope my explication will be clear enough:

I have this small home made program which generates some .ref files.
I almost always look at this .ref files with notepad:

double click ("open with...")
select notepad
disable the "always open with..." option
ok

accidently i didn't disable the "always open with" option
consequence: every .ref is opened automatically with notepad, but I don't want that
How can I undo this?

thank you in advance!

Hold down the shift key, right click on a .ref file and select "Open with". Select the program from the list that you do want the .ref files to open with and set "Always use this program toopen these files" check box

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Open up Windows Explorer and click Tools > Folder Options. If you just want to get rid of it completely you can just delete if from within there or edit the function by clicking the Advanced button.

Attachments

timmeke_nr2

thx stod73, but I have to undo the thing because the little program tends to crash sometimes if a program is attached to the .ref

lwdsquashman, thx ur answer is what i'm looking for, but my windows (explorer) version is not good enough to do that:
i click Tools (outils (french)) but then i don't have the Folder Options.
the version here on the computers is windows nt 4.0

thx in advance

timmeke_nr2

what I'm looking for is to "undo"(!) the "always open with" click. I don't want to change the program with which windows will open the .ref

On some versions of Windows instead of Tools > Folder Options, it will be under the View menu: View > Folder Options.

HTH

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online