1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to uninstall a screensaver

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Eriksrocks, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks Thread Starter

OK - here's a useful tip if you want to "uninstall" a screensaver.
    1. First, go to Start > Search to start a search.
    2. In the search box, type *.scr. This will search for all screensaver files.
    3. When the search is done, locate the screensaver you want to uninstall. You may need to look at the path to figure out if it's the one you want.
    4. When you've found it, right click on it and choose Delete.
    5. Tada! You're done!
    Hope this will help someone! :)

2. Polly1016

Polly1016

Thanks, Eriksrocks (y)

I've been wondering how to do that! I've never been able to find out how before I read your post!:D

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That only gets rid of the screensaver itself. It doesn't get rid of the files that came with it - if it's one that you installed from a downloaded file or a purchased CD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. firestormer

firestormer

Its good but i cant relly see the need to ever unistall a screensaver. Unlesss....

Trying to et rid of the evidence ae?

Only joking. I suppose if your selling your PC you might have a bit of corperate stuff ect tuck on it.

5. Eriksrocks

Yes, that's true. But if the screensaver came with other files, it's most likely going to have it's own uninstall utility.

So, I should have mentioned earlier... If the screensaver has it's own uninstall utility, use that! If it doesn't, then this is really the only way to uninstall it. :)

6. Polly1016

Polly1016

Huh????:confused:

There have been several instance's when I've created a screensaver (either through a CD or My Pictures) and then wanted to uninstall it. Not hiding anything, just want to get rid of the Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving, etc screensaver once the holiday has passed. The list can get pretty long in there and if I don't plan to use it again, there's no point in hanging on to it.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's one that you created yourself and it has nothing but the filename with a .SCR extension in the C:\WINDOWS folder, that's all that you really need to delete.

However, when you install one from a downloaded file or a purchased CD, it needs to be uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs list(if it places itself there) so that all the files can be removed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Polly1016

Polly1016

Thanks for the info, flavallee!

The one's I've deleted by the suggestions in this thread, didn't show up in Add/Remove programs.

It always bugged me that I couldn't just 'right click' and choose delete.

I'll try getting rid of them your way as well. A lot of the standard one's from MS or XP (whatever) are pretty lame and I would like to get rid of them because I don't plan on using them anyway. :p

I like screensaver's but downloading them would be out of the question for me. Who know's what the heck you're downloading. I guess I'll stick with my own pictures and a few that I like from a CD. I wish there was a trustworthy place to download some.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Free downloaded screensavers frequently contain spyware, so stay away from them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Polly1016

Polly1016

Yes, that's what I said. There's no telling what you're downloading.

11. Eriksrocks

Good screensavers should come with an uninstall utility. :) Unfortunately, the ones created by Google's Picasa don't. :( I've uninstalled many with this method. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice