1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Uninstall IE 8 Beta 1 And Revert Back To IE 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flavallee, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

If you decide to uninstall IE 8 Beta 1 and revert back to IE 7, you will likely discover that its entry in the Add/Remove Programs list does not offer an uninstall option, especially if you installed the XP SP3 upgrade afterwards.

This is how to uninstall it:

Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\IE8\SPUNINST folder and then open it to expose its list of files.

Double-click the SPUNINST.EXE file to start the uninstall process.

Ignore the warning that uninstalling it may cause some of your installed programs not to work.

Restart your computer when prompted to.

When you start IE 7 for the first time, follow the directions to select your personal settings.

Run a scan at the Windows Updates site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Sponsor

3. CDATech

CDATech

There was an article about how if you install SP3 after installing IE 8 Beta 1 that you can no longer uninstall IE 8. So...thank you for this tip! :)

4. flavallee

That was one of the articles that I read.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm (See the first sentence in the "Internet Explorer" section)

I decided to uninstall SP3 and revert back to SP2 on my older HP desktop to see if I could then uninstall IE 8 Beta 1. Still no luck. :( (n)

I then decided to poke around inside the C:\WINDOWS\IE8 folder. That is when I got lucky. :) (y)

I have already passed on this information to my local computer club.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. CDATech

CDATech

See! Who says poking around in stuff isn't a good thing? Heh ;)

6. mestophales

mestophales

Just wanted to say thanks for that tidbit saved me hours of headache following the Microsoft way

7. flavallee

You're welcome. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have installed IE 8 Beta 2 and want to revert back to IE 7, the same "back door" method works. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. mestophales

mestophales

I liked the features of IE8 the only problem I had was I could no longer FTP to anything - that really needs to get fixed

9. flavallee

IE 8 Beta 2 works okay for me with Vista, but it caused some problems with XP, so I reverted back to IE 7.

The final release of IE 8 is supposed to be out in November.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Jadelle

Jadelle

Thank you, Flavallee! You gave a cogent, simple explanation of a problem that has been plaguing me, whereas, the Microsoft website did not.
    Successful in removing IE8 and reverting to IE7. :)

11. flavallee

I'm glad it worked for you. :) (y)

-----------------------------------------------------

12. warped1

warped1

Thanks,

As the official technolegal I usually try these browsers and was very disheartened when there was no uninstall option. I found numerous performance issues, menuboxes being placed in bizarre manners, etc. Thanks for the uninstall instructions. Must skip IE8.

So far you are the only post I found with a quick, clear solution. I liked MS. If I didn't know how to uninstall via add/remove programs, probably wouldnt have tried the beta to begin with ;-)

13. flavallee

I've recently worked on a couple of desktops where the owners are still using IE 6 and haven't upgraded to IE 7 because they're so used to and comfortable with it.

The final release of IE 8 is supposed to be out in November(supposedly). Let's see if the major bugs are worked out by then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

14. bigsur

bigsur

Hi Flavallee,
    I appreciate your fix; I couldn't Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\IE8\SPUNINST folder and then open it to expose its list of files or
    Double-click the SPUNINST.EXE file to start the uninstall process.

I could however locate the following log; (ie8Uninst.log]
    ================================================================================
    0.000: C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe (version 6.3.15.0)
    0.031: CheckUninstallDataForMultiInstancing: [Instances] section not found
    0.031: Spuninst.exe was run with the following arguments: /quiet /norestart /log:C:\WINDOWS
    0.031: Spuninst.exe is being run from the following location: C:\WINDOWS\ie8
    can you assist? it would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you

15. flavallee

Open the MY COMPUTER window, click Tools - Folder Options - View(tab), select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", then click Apply - OK.

This is how it looks in my XP desktop:

Attached Files:

• IE8.jpg
      IE8.jpg
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
  16. bigsur

bigsur

Flavallee,
    thank you. I completed the task; however, unfortunately I'm receiving the infamous Microsoft> 'Red-X-Boing' ....'cannot find file' rears its not so nice head. Any other recommended alternatives?
    thank you again for your time.
    Big Sur

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!