1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Uninstall Lenovo bloatware?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo Miix 520 tablet running Windows 10 Pro. I have uninstall all the bloatware listed in Programs and Features; but there is still some annoying Lenovo garbage left in my system. I have serached the internet and found advice on how to turn off notifications; but simply turning off the notifications isn't what I want.

I want it UNINSTALLED, totally deleted.

I get this pop-out from the lower right of my screen at least once a day, sometimes more. And there are other similar pop-outs that I haven't written down all the wording for:

Lenovo WiFi Security
    Lenovo Vantage
    Protect yourself from malicious networks by enabling Lenovo WiFi Security today!​

Then there is a "learn more" and "no thanks" button. I've tried ignoring it for months, learning more and no thanks; but the thing will not quit.

How do I get this and all other Lenovo crap off this system -- completely off.

HINT: The solution is NOT in Programs and Features

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 10 comes with 40+ bloatware apps.
    A brand new(not refurbished) computer also comes with several manufacturer-related bloatware apps.
    A lot of it can't be removed through the "Programs And Features" list and through the "Settings - Apps" section of Windows 10.
    The "Tools - Uninstall" feature of the free Piriform CCleaner app does a good job of removing it.
    Just be careful not to remove anything crucial to the operation of your computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Alex Ethridge

Agreed, in my years of setting up new computers for people, my highest was 79 bloatwares. HP was the most egregious offender back then.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestion.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've bought nothing but refurbished computers since 2008, so I'm not familiar with how much manufacturer-related bloatware comes in new computer brands.

After I do a clean install of Windows 10, I use Piriform CCleaner to get rid of bloatware apps that can't be removed from the Windows 10 "Settings - Apps" section.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. Alex Ethridge

Well, CCleaner found nothing related to Lenovo WiFi Security, Lenovo Vantage or Lenovo Companion so I did a shotgun approach and deleted every line in the registry mentioning LenovoCompanion, Lenovo Vantage, LenovoVantage and the parent folder of those lines when it was obvious the whole folder was related to it and restarted the computer. I'll get back here in a few days and let you know how it turned out

I also found a lot of Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and other useless bloatware while I was in there.

While typing this, I got a pop-out that said it looks like some of my apps might be blurry and offered to fix it. I told it to never ask again and dismissed it. It looks like I might have to wipe this computer clean and install a clean, retail copy of windows to get rid of all of all this Lenovo doodoo.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice