1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to uninstall multiple copies of printer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by junglecat, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junglecat

junglecat Thread Starter

My printer wasn't working, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times. I got a different set of errors than I was getting before, and then discovered this in Windows Explorer---> My Computer---> Local Disc (C)---> Program Files

[​IMG]

It was only listed ONCE in Add/Remove programs.

But I uninstalled anyhow using Add/Remove, and there are STILL multiple copies of all files in C:\program files. They are not empty folders; all the files are there, 2-3 copies of each.

I launched RegCleaner and deleted everything I could find that I knew for sure was related to the printer, but all those copies are still there in program files.

How do I get it completely off my system so I can start over and install ONE copy?

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi!

If you're no longer having problems with your printer, you could just leave the folders there. Otherwise, I would just manually remove them (all but the last copy).

3. junglecat

junglecat Thread Starter

Yes I'm still having problems with the printer. It won't print, and I suspect maybe it won't because of all the copies of it in the system. The printer is only a couple weeks old.

4. zabusant

zabusant

Oh, that's another story. Remove all the lexmark folders. Go to control panel>printers and faxes, right click the printer and select delete. Unplug the printer, shut down your PC, plug the printer back in, start your system.

Did it come with a cd with drivers?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So after you uninstalled the software and deleted the folder, you got 3 new copies following another install? I've never seen anything like that happen before.

6. arknorth

arknorth

I have - it can happen when you try to install the software while a USB printer is plugged in - he noted that he had tried to install it more than once.

Delete the icons - unplug the Lexmark from the computer - reinstall the software, THEN plug the printer into the computer. Hopefully the Add/Remove didn't take too much (I never recommend using A/R on printers, as it tends to sometimes take too much, like parts of Windows with it).

A-N

7. junglecat

junglecat Thread Starter

I'm a her. :p

I did what you suggested. It seems to be back to normal again except it still doesn't print. I'll have to start a new topic because it's a whole new problem.

Thanks everyone. :)

8. arknorth

arknorth

Oops - sorry...

Since from your piccie it seems you are running XP, have you tried using the system restore back to before all this started to see if it resolves the problems?

A-N - Who's a guy (Can't ya tell?)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760116