how to uninstall or remove windows media player v10.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jj88

i am using the WinXP Home OS and upgraded my Windows Media Player from v9.0 to v10.0 but found out that a lot of radio channels that were previously available on v.9.0 are not available on v.10.0 and would like to revert back to v.9.0

Tried to uninstall and delete the Windows Media Player folder in my Program Files folder but it just kept reappearing. Also, tried to restore the computer to a time before the v10.0 installation but the restore failed.

Went to a website to try to download and reinstall v.9.0 but received a message from my computer that I already have a more recent version of Media Player (v10.0) on my computer and the downloaded was ended.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remove v.10.0 and revert or reinstall v.9.0.

Thanks

Try doing a system restore to a point before you installed version 10. Hopefully you'll still have a restore point you can use.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it seems like you already tried a restore.

jj88

thanks for the suggestions.

was searching around & found some information that worked to solve my problem and now i have media player v9.0 again. will copy & post below the information so if anyone else has the same problem, maybe it may help them remove media player v10 and revert back to v9.

1. Go to the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.
Select "Windows Media Player 10" in order to rollback.

2.) If that does not roll you back, reinstall the player on top of the existing install of WMP10-beta (do not try to munge the WMP files by hand: that will just break your system- you will need to complete one extra reinstall in order to counteract that).

If you need to reboot, do so, and then again reinstall the player on top of the existing install. The rollback point will NOT be functional until you complete a reinstall of the player that does NOT require a reboot. At that point, the WMP10 rollback point in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel should be functional.

WMP10-beta also creates a System Restore point for you to use if you need it. If you had System Restore turned off, WMP10-beta showed you a message explaining that having System Restore turned off would disable your ability to roll back. While the above steps on rollback should allow you to rollback using the Add/Remove Programs method: System Restore shouldn't really be off.

For more information please visit:
http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#wmp10rollback

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online