How to uninstall windows defender from windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Space Cowboy

I noticed that after installing Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender has been turned off.

So if it is not being used .. How can it be uninstalled?

Thanks

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You can't. You can only disable it. It was integrated starting with Vista.

Windows Defender is a Windows Service, it can be removed, but I don't suggest doing it, much harder to add it back later once deleted.

Space Cowboy

So if it is not being used .. How can it be uninstalled?
After installing Microsoft Security Essentials, Defender is disabled and the service is set to manual .. on my rig anyways ..

You would think that there would be a way to uninstall it rather than just have it taking up space.

I'm sure I could disable the service then delete it and the folder and run a cleaner to take care of the scraps left behind.

Or wait for someone (like XPlite) to address the issue and provide a uninstaller.

But for now I just disabled the service .. will see and post back if any issues occur.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online