1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to unlock SATA hard drive cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I just made a mistake and put a locking type SATA cable in my computer and now cannot get it out. The idea is good but the design leaves a lot to be desired. I am afraid of damaging the motherboard by just pulling this thing out of the socket.

I have another identical cable to look at and experiment on and pressing on the metal device on the sides of the head does not do anything that I can see.

Is there a secret to getting these out of the sockets? Once out, I will not be using these again.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, pushing the metal release does depress the two small latches. Try this. Depress the metal release, and put the connector INTO the board first and wiggle it around gently. Then, gently pressing it away from the metal catch, try to remove it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice