How to Unlock Users

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alnuwer

Just got this new PC and 1st experience with Windows 7. I set it up with no password for Administrator (the way I want it). However, the Administrator's files are shown as LOCKED. How do I unlock them? Thanks for your help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 9198 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 940161 MB, Free - 883437 MB; D: Total - 13604 MB, Free - 1673 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AB6, 1.04, 1234567890123456
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2012, Updated and Enabled

valis

where are they showing as locked? In windows explorer? What files are they?

alnuwer

where are they showing as locked? In windows explorer? What files are they?
On the opening page where you chose which user to go to (only user is Administrator), and the Administrator's folder under "USERS"

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You are on Home Premium which means there has to be another user on the system. You can only login as the user named Administrator in Safe Mode. Not sure how you could have possibly only ended up with 1 user on the system.

alnuwer

You are on Home Premium which means there has to be another user on the system. You can only login as the user named Administrator in Safe Mode. Not sure how you could have possibly only ended up with 1 user on the system.
Probably my bad - The login page and the User who's file shows a padlock icon is identified as Mary Lou. Since she is the only user on the system, I thought Mary Lou and Administrator is one and the same. Wrong, right? Please note also that there is no problem logging onto Mary Lou nor opening her files. The only problem is trying to get my other networked XP PCs to access her files. I'm able to access her C:\ but nothing below the C:\USER folder. I'm thinking that perhaps that is because they show as locked?

The admin account is normally hidden by default. There is no reason for you to access the administrator folder.

alnuwer

The admin account is normally hidden by default. There is no reason for you to access the administrator folder.
Thanks, I just learned that. Actually the log in page and User that shows "Locked" is the one user I set up - called Mary Lou.

DoubleHelix

Banned
That's indicating you're already logged in with that account. Click it, and you should go to the desktop.

alnuwer

That's indicating you're already logged in with that account. Click it, and you should go to the desktop.
Yep, I can go to the desktop - no problem. However, I cannot access User Mary Lou from my networked XP Pcs. I can access the C:/ drive and all files above the User\Mary Lou folder, but not User\Mary Lou. I'm thinking it must be because User\Mary Lou is locked (User\Mary Lou folder icon shows a padlock on it)

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You need a password set on the account. Network access requires a password. I believe there is a registry setting so you can access the computer without a password but I would advise against making that change.

alnuwer

You need a password set on the account. Network access requires a password. I believe there is a registry setting so you can access the computer without a password but I would advise against making that change.
I understand the issues with not having it password protected, but still wish to do so. Any idea on how to set the registry for no password?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online