1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to upgrade a hdd by cloning?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by machv, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

i own a toshiba satellite l350d 01m laptop. i just bought a 500gb hdd because i am running out of space on the installed 250gb, i want to copy the entire c: drive onto the new drive i bought and then install that drive into the laptop. how do i achieve that. where can i get a clone program for free so that i can just swap out the drives and it will work. i created a recovery disc but i know that i need the hdd recovery partition on the drive and i dont want to start from scratch just increase the size then use the smaller 250gb drive as the new add on drive and the 500gb i bought as the primary master. i also dont want to have to reinstall everything i have alreadfy on my system again it takes forever. i know it can be done i just need step by steps on how to do it and where to get the relevant programs to do it. thanks

2. Metalmorph

Metalmorph

maybe you can just copy all things from one drive to antother with copy-paste?
    Yeah I know it would take ages but...

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Clonezilla is free and should do want you want.

http://clonezilla.org/

4. machv

machv Thread Starter

i have a couple of hidden partitions on my drive that relate to the recovery of the system and I'd be screwed without them, if I ever had to reinstall from scratch. so just copying and pasting won't work.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You're right .. Copy > Paste won't work.
    You won't be able to Clone without being able to connect Two HDDs in your Laptop.

You could "Image" the system to an external Hard Drive .. If you have one.
    Then recover the new HDD from the Image.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873159