How to use a 3.0 usb external hard drive with linux?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerryNet

Terry
Are you trying to refer to all operating systems based on the Linux kernel or on one particular distribution? If the latter, which one and which version of it?

Johnny b

John
Just checking my own Linux--USB

Same results in Xenialpup 7.5 with 4.9.58 kernel
and TahrPup64 6.0.6 uefi with 3.14.79 kernel

Both boot from a Live DVD.

My Western 2T Digital MyBook with 3.0 USB will not powerup nor be recognized
in either of my 2.0 or 3.0 USB computer ports.

My 'Frankenstein' 1T W-D external drive in a Seagate 2.0 USB enclosure will powerup and mount.

Noted.
The 3.0 USB drive normally powers up in Windows when the USB connection is made first. I think is has something to do with a power saving mode. Turning off the computer turns off the power to the drive.
The 2.0 USB drive powers up as soon as the power cord is plugged in and stays powered up until unplugged.

I don't use external hard drives with my Linux computer, so this is the first time I was aware of an issue.

Last edited:

Johnny b

John
Looks like using a WD external drive with Linux can be problematic.

From the link
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=5316&s=#linux
On how to physically connect:
Plug in the power to the external hard drive and let it spin up.
That doesn't happen with My WD MyBook.
Not in Linux or Windows.
Power (spinup) isn't on until the USB connection is made in Windows.
In my versions of Puppy, the 3.0 nor 2.0 WD USB connections are never recognized.

Western Digital is unable to provide support for the Unix/Linux operating systems outside of jumper configurations (for EIDE hard drives) and physical installation support.

If there is a solution, looks like it would have to come from an outside source.

Last edited:

plodr

Liz
Linux will not work with 3.0 ext hard drive
Not enough information.
1. Are you trying to install a linux distro on a USB external hard drive?
or
2. Are you trying to get an external USB hard drive "recognized" in an installed linux distro?

If 2, what is the size of the external hard drive and what distro is installed on the host computer?
Some distros automatically recognize while others you might have to mount the external drive.

I attached a WD 2TB My Passport Ultra to my eeepc running a very old version of Xandros/Debian. I opened my filesystem and My Passport was listed. I clicked on it and was able to see all files on it. (51 items)

My external drive is USB 3 but the linux computer, from Jan 2008 probably only has 1.1 or 2 USB ports. I'd have to dig around to find the specs on this over 10 year old netbook.

edra1214

I want to be able to use a 3.0 ext hard drive in any linux distro(ubuntu,linux,deepin,feren,ect..).
I have been looking on youtube and google and everybody seems to be dancing around the issue.
People say how good these distro's are,and for the most part they are except you have to have a degree in computer science to be able to plug in a 3.0 usb ext hard drive and use it.
If they are so good,why don't they design a Distro where you plug in a 3.0 ext hard drive and it works,without have to put in a paragraph of code into the terminal?
Granted you have to download a driver in windows 7,but thats it.
Design a Distro anyone can use,then everyone will use it,and will give windows a run for they're money.
Thank you to everyone!
Ed

edra1214

Any 3.0 ext hard drive,I have used Toshiba,WD Element,Seagate none work,but all work when plugged into a 2.0 port

Johnny b

John
People say how good these distro's are,and for the most part they are except you have to have a degree in computer science to be able to plug in a 3.0 usb ext hard drive and use it.
If they are so good,why don't they design a Distro where you plug in a 3.0 ext hard drive and it works,without have to put in a paragraph of code into the terminal?.................................
Most recent distro's are decent.
I have no degree in computer science.
But there is a reality I'm aware of with Linux in that development is not a commercial venture and hardware support does sometimes lag behind the large corporate entity MS, that has more resources to spare than the many coders that freely volunteer knowledge to further Linux and it's use.

It's a good idea to make sure the hardware you want to use is supported under Linux before purchasing that hardware. Always has been.

plodr

Liz
So plug the external drive into a USB 2 port. Problem solved.
You'll see people complaining that mice plugged into USB 3 ports in Windows don't work properly. So it isn't just linux.

Johnny b

John
So plug the external drive into a USB 2 port. Problem solved.
You'll see people complaining that mice plugged into USB 3 ports in Windows don't work properly. So it isn't just linux.
In my case, I tried it.
My USB 3.0 drive wouldn't spin up plugged into either a USB 3.0 or 2.0 port.

This isn't a problem for me, I don't use an external hard drive on my Linux machine.

I'm just posting my findings :)

managed

Allan
I tried this with my Maxtor 2TB external Usb 3.0 drive and it was detected in Mint, Parted Magic, Puppy Racy and elementary OS.

This was on a laptop with a Usb 3.0 adapter card. The drive was plugged in before switching on, it was detected and I could see the files on it but I did not test to see if it was working at Usb 3.0 speeds.

I think the Usb 3.0 driver has to be included in the linux kernel for this to work.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online