1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use a crossover cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I bought a router and installed the Netmagic software that came with it but never figured out how to copy files from one computer to the other. Now the Netmagic software says it's "trial period" is expiring and wants a fee to continue. Obviously, I will not do that since I was not able to get it to work for me.

Now, I am interested in the crossover cable. All I really want to do is copy files from my old computer to the new one. I do have external drives but they are nearly full so would prefer a cable.

Google did not show any instructions on what to do when you get the cables connected and whether I will need some special software to do what I want.

Will it be easy to transfer this data or should I just clean off an external drive and move it that way?

Thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

I don't know anything about routers or networks, but I have used a serial cable to transfer files before. With the cable connected between serial ports, use the File and Transfer Wizard in the Control Panel, and it will guide you through making a transfer disk, etc. However, this is a very slow method of transferring anything. I do not know if this will work with other cable connections or not.

4. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

You said you have a router? If both computers are hooked up to the router you shouldn't need to use any software to transfer files from one computer to the other. What OS are you running on both computers, and what model is your router?

5. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

My router is a Trendnet and I am running Windows XP with SP2.

The two computers showed up but there were no instructions that i could find on how to copy files from one computer to the other.

I uninstalled the software and took out the router but it would be easy to connect. Not sure that the software will run now because it might have timed out on its "trial" period.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Windows has a built in FTP in Internet Explorer, correct?

Just FTP the files back and forth as you choose. If you have the machines behind firewalls, don't forget the permissions.

7. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks

I will reinstall the router and try it.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need any software. If the computers are in the same workgroup, they should be if you went through the Windows Network Setup Wizard, then all you need to do access the other computer by going through My Network Places - then its just a matter of copy and paste.

9. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

In addition to what Triple6 said, you need to make sure that you share the folders that you want to copy because by default only the "Shared Documents," "Shared Music," and "Shared Videos" folders are shared.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh yeah, that would be an important thing to do. Thats done by right clicking on the file and choosing the Sharing option.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are using a router, you cannot use a crossover cable. You need regular RJ45 network cable.

Just a review. Both systems need a network card; either onboard or a regular nic card. The network card must be installed and show ok in device manager. Connect each system to the router. Next make sure each system is a member of the same workgroup as posted above.

That is it. You select which files and or folders you want to share and you are good to go.

Note if you have a broadband connection ie cable or dsl, you connect that to the router and both system are on the internet.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW just for future reference a crossover cable is used when you connect two systems directly to each other; no router, hub, or switch. Just nic card to nic card.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think he intially had a router but gave up on that and now wants to get the cross-over cable.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just reread his post. If all you want to do is transfer files, why not just pull the drive and slave it to the system you want the files on? This would not entail the purchase of anything. Just install the drive as a slave. When you are done, you can reinstall the drive in the old system.

15. steveb1492

steveb1492

All you should have to do is connect rj-45 (standard ethernet) cables to the router from each computer, then run the network setup wizard to assign a workgroup. Hook up the router, then go to control panel>network connections>set up a home or small office network. Then go through the setup. Afterwards, go into my computer and right click on any files/folders/drives that you want to share and select sharing and security, then click on the checkmark 'share this folder on the network'

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice