1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to use a emergancy start up disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tjlawler, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tjlawler

Tjlawler Thread Starter

how do i use it
    it was downloaded from bootdisk.com
    after i enter the disk what r some steps to take to get my computer working
    thanks
    tj

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What Windows version do you have?

What problems do you have that require the need for a startup disk?

3. Thad

Thad

my computer crashed and thats why i need the start up disk
    i have windows 98
    i need the steps to get it back on it feet
    and my puter running again

4. mobo

mobo

will it boot up at all ?

5. Thad

Thad

just need some steps to follow using a start up disk to windows 98

6. Thad

Thad

emergancy start up

7. Thad

Thad

it will start i put in the disk it reads "non systemn disk" when the disk is out it reads "invaild system disk"
    im on a schools puter
    bye the way

8. Delta Dart

Delta Dart

It sounds like you are trying to boot from file you downloaded from "bootdisk.com". This is not the actual boot disk. You have to make a boot disk from this file on another floppy.
    If you did make the new file then it sounds like your bios may be set to boot from the HD as the first choice. You will have to reset your bios for "A drive" first then "hard drive" that way it will look for the floppy as first choice.
    Delta Dart

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Thad, I received your email as well. I think you were referring to my recommendations to download boot disks from freepctech, however, the one from bootdisk is fine too. Please be sure you save it to the DESKTOP, NOT to a floppy disk. There needs to be more than one file on the boot disk, and I'm guessing from your description, there isn't, thus the reason for the non system disk boot error.

Once the file is on your desktop, double click on it to expand it to a floppy disk. Just follow the instructions. On the problem pc, you'll need to have the bios set to boot from the floppy disk first.

I also, would like to know what problems you are having before you continue on.

10. Tjlawler

Tjlawler Thread Starter

what should i do if the bios is fine

11. ~Candy~

The bios sees the hard drive? You are sure?

If so, save changes coming out, even though you have made none. Then see if you get the same invalid system disk error message.

12. Tjlawler

Tjlawler Thread Starter

so if i save it to my desktop then to my disk then what happends

13. A Hawk

A Hawk

Once you have the boot disk put it in the floppy drive and start or reboot the puter. It will go through diagnostics and loading cd drivers etc then you should get an a:/ prompt. At the prompt type C:and then at the C: prompt type scanreg /restore with a space between scanreg and /restore. Once the registry is scaned you should get a list of good restore dates, select one and see if it will start up. :) If it don't do the process again and try another date. :)

14. ~Candy~

I'm getting the impression that you still aren't following me.....once you save to desktop, you just don't save to disk immediately after. You MUST double click on the file you downloaded to your desktop, and follow the step by step instructions to 'create' the boot floppy disk. The floppy disk will have more than one file, if not, you are not following our instructions.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice