how to use a emergancy start up disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tjlawler

how do i use it
it was downloaded from bootdisk.com
after i enter the disk what r some steps to take to get my computer working
thanks
tj

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What Windows version do you have?

What problems do you have that require the need for a startup disk?

my computer crashed and thats why i need the start up disk
i have windows 98
i need the steps to get it back on it feet
and my puter running again

it will start i put in the disk it reads "non systemn disk" when the disk is out it reads "invaild system disk"
im on a schools puter
bye the way

It sounds like you are trying to boot from file you downloaded from "bootdisk.com". This is not the actual boot disk. You have to make a boot disk from this file on another floppy.
If you did make the new file then it sounds like your bios may be set to boot from the HD as the first choice. You will have to reset your bios for "A drive" first then "hard drive" that way it will look for the floppy as first choice.
Delta Dart

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Thad, I received your email as well. I think you were referring to my recommendations to download boot disks from freepctech, however, the one from bootdisk is fine too. Please be sure you save it to the DESKTOP, NOT to a floppy disk. There needs to be more than one file on the boot disk, and I'm guessing from your description, there isn't, thus the reason for the non system disk boot error.

Once the file is on your desktop, double click on it to expand it to a floppy disk. Just follow the instructions. On the problem pc, you'll need to have the bios set to boot from the floppy disk first.

I also, would like to know what problems you are having before you continue on.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The bios sees the hard drive? You are sure?

If so, save changes coming out, even though you have made none. Then see if you get the same invalid system disk error message.

Once you have the boot disk put it in the floppy drive and start or reboot the puter. It will go through diagnostics and loading cd drivers etc then you should get an a:/ prompt. At the prompt type C:and then at the C: prompt type scanreg /restore with a space between scanreg and /restore. Once the registry is scaned you should get a list of good restore dates, select one and see if it will start up. :) If it don't do the process again and try another date. :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'm getting the impression that you still aren't following me.....once you save to desktop, you just don't save to disk immediately after. You MUST double click on the file you downloaded to your desktop, and follow the step by step instructions to 'create' the boot floppy disk. The floppy disk will have more than one file, if not, you are not following our instructions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts