Solved How to use HTML to generate bold text on a blog site

Wallenberg

I visit a blog site on a regular basis in which people post their opinions.

The software used on this site does not have very many formatting options and I would really like to be able to submit some posts in which I use "BOLD" text. But I can't figure out how to do that. I see that a very few people have found a way to convert some test to "BOLD". But I haven't seen many who are regular visitors and so it's hard for me to get any of them to answer me. Besides, the board tends to discourage people from posting the email addresses and there is no facility there for exchanging private messages.

I asked one person who answered me and they said they did it by using standard HTML techniquest. They showed me what they did. But it did not work for me. Then they tried to do it again and it no longer worked. Apparently, something had changed during the time they submitted that post with the bold text and the time they answered my request for help. But here is what they said when they answered my request for help. I'm hoping this info may help someone here to know what is going wrong and how I can submit posts with bold text now.

Originally, they posted this:

... it’s pretty easy if you know HTML: starts BOLD. ends it.

I think they meant to indicate that a colon starts bold text and a period ends it.

Here is a link to their posts which I hope will help you find our discussion:
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-264/

When that didn't work for me, he posted this:

I used:"LT" B"GT" to start, "GT+slash+B"LT" to finish bold.

I have no idea what they mean. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I have created some bold text in this post using the editing features of this board (the TechSupportGuy board). But I cannot do that on the board in which I want to do it.

Wallenberg

Hello flavallee

Thank you kindly for trying to help me. Unfortunately,

You wrote that I should select the text and then type at the beginning of the text.
Type at the end of the text.

But I could not see any characters in your post before, after or in the middle of these two lines.
Your text did indeed appear in bold. But I have no idea what you did to get that to happen.

I suspect the characters you entered to start and end the bold were not displayed in the output.
Perhaps you could spell them out so that I would know what they are?
Like maybe you could say:

type {colon} at the beginning of the text and type {period} at the end of the text.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I deleted my last reply because it didn't display like I wanted it to.

BEFORE the text, you type these 3 characters with no space between them:
[ and b and ]

AFTER the text, you type these 4 characters with no space between them:
[ and / and b and ]

For example:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Wallenberg

Flavallee,

Thank you very much. However, I would like to tell you something.

I Googled, "How do I create bold text using HTML". It told me the same thing you have posted but it used angle brackets instead of square brackets.

I then went to that web site and tried it using angle brackets and it worked <b>FINE.</b>
But the square brackets do not work on that site and the angle brackets do not work on this site as you can see above.

I wonder if this might be due to different versions of HTML?
Please don't tell me it's because of COVID. (Just kidding).
I had the worst day of my life today. So many things went wrong and so many people told me it was because of COVID.

Last edited:

Wallenberg

Zee01 said, " To make your text bold you can use the (b) tag. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for that info. But I have no idea what the (b) tag means. Can you explain?

What a day I am having today. Nothing seems to work.
I clicked on the "Quote" button because I was pretty sure that would create a post that included what Zee01 said and then let me add my response below it. But that didn't work for me. I have no idea why.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What I showed in post #3 is what works for me in this site and in other help forum sites.
I'm not an expert in HTML code, so someone else here will need to help you.
Good luck.
(y)

------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's the < > tags

here is an example for bold, italic, and underline:

1601569623043.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online