1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use internet without WIFI

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jamesjames81, May 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jamesjames81

Jamesjames81 Thread Starter

Hi, Maybe a bit of a weird question, one that is proving difficult to get a simple answer to!

If I wanted to be able to plug in individual devices to the internet connection -NOT USE WIFI CONNECTION- how do I do this? Do I need a fibre connection or, can I still get the usual cheap connection and simply turn off the wifi on the router? I really dont know how it works and keep on finding rather complicated answers. Some say simple as just plugging the ethernet cable in to my laptop with an adapter. Please help :)

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Does your laptop have an Ethernet port?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what a "usual cheap connection" is, but any broadband connection will support ethernet connected devices as long as you have a router. Depending on the number of router LAN ports and the number of devices you may also need an ethernet switch to provide more simultaneous connections.

And, yes, if you have a wireless router but do not use wireless you can disable (turn off) it.

4. Jamesjames81

I mean that it seems that a 17mb broadband connection is usually a lot cheaper than fibre optic. So it would be good if the cheaper option worked. Would there be any difference in speed if it were plugged in? Thanks a lot for your help so far!

5. Jamesjames81

no ethernet port , i've got a Macbook pro, my boyfriend has a windows laptop, i'm not sure his has one either but I read that you can get an adapter for a mac?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly; sometimes wireless interference or incorrect driver or defective router or adapter can slow Wi-Fi to less than 17 mbs bandwidth.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice