1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use my backup disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jjjjjjjjjj, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjjjjjjjjj

jjjjjjjjjj Thread Starter

OK, so i made back-up disks for my computer, i have a compact ...windows xp i believe? it was going to die, like it has done once before, so i saw the signs, and backed up everything and burnt it onto 4 disks. i used recovery manager to do so. then, i reset my computer to factory settings. so it was wiped clean, and i started from scratch. now i want to use my disks ands reload everything back onto my computer, but when i put a disk in it lets me veiw files but thats it. and if i veiw them, and then click on one, it says cannot open. and if i try to drag the items onto my destop or into a folder or anywhere, it doesnt work. its says copying but takes hours and doesnt move (the status bar) so it is obviously not working. i backed it uo for a reason and want my stuff back!! how to i do it? i also tried putting one of the disks in and then turnning my computer on and off, hopeing it would read the disk and open with the stuff, but it didn't.....

thank you!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

What program did you use to make the backup?

3. jjjjjjjjjj

ummm recovery manager? it popped up and i hit the make backup disks, then i made it of everything. it spread out onto 4 disks

4. jjjjjjjjjj

then after i did that, thats when i had to erase everything

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm not sure what kind of backup you made; but, it sounds to me like you used the HP/Compaq Recovery Manager. You may have simply made a set of system recovery disks. If so, what you made was simply a set of disks that allow you to restore your computer to its original factory configuration. It will contain none of your user data or any programs you added since it was new.

Set your computer's BIOS boot order to CD/DVD before the hard disk. Place the first disk in the set into your CD/DVD drive and restart your computer. If your computer has more than one CD/DVD drive and it fails to boot from the CD, try it also in the other drive. You do not need to run the system recovery; this is just one test that might tell us what kind of disks you have.

You most likely will get a screen advising that it will restore your computer to (words to the effect) original factory settings. If that is the case, then the disks are what I described above.

6. jjjjjjjjjj

yeah i did the reseting of the computer, and it does not read it. i only have one disk drive. and o NO!!! thats terrible..

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

What are the names of the files on disk 1, including the part of the name after the dot.

You may have to change some settings in order to view the part of the name after the dot.
    Click Start> My computer> Tools> Folder Options> View. Deselect "Hide extensions for known file types" and deselect "Hide protected operating system files". Click Apply and OK.

8. jjjjjjjjjj

Sorry, ok so when I put the disk in, i hit open files to veiw (its the only option) then it says "files currently on the disk", and the files are "0.wim." "1.wim" "2.wim" then it skips to "10.wim" then continues from ten going up by one number to "28.wim" then at the very end of the disk, there is recovery manager, two of them. one is "application" and the other is "configuration setting"

i burnt these disks from re-writeable DVD disks. Should i have used CD'S? Does it make a difference? it said burn succesful..

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001962