1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use my D-Link router to leach the connection from wireless internet card!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eVo14, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

I'm desperate here. OK here's my situation.

I am running Windows XP.
    I live in the basement suite of a house, and my PC connects just fine to the wireless internet upstairs, BUT my XBOX and PS3 don't have a strong enough range to reach. Sometimes it does, but 90% of the time it doesnt.

My PC connects to the upstairs router using a D-Link Wireless USB card I got. Nothing fancy but it works.
    Now, is there a way that I can use that connection, and share it so that I can plug my XBOX and PS3 into my own own D-Link router so they can leach the connection my PC is using from upstairs?

PLEASE help. I am out of ideas and I don't know how to figure this out.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connect an ethernet cable between your PC and a router LAN port. After you configure the router as follows you then go into Network Connections on your PC and bridge the two connections.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. srhoades

srhoades

I would suggest a pair of powerline ethernet adapters. Plug one in upstairs by the router, plug a network cable into it. Plug one in downstairs by your gaming devices and plug a cable from that into a switch and then from the switch to your gaming devices.

4. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

Ugh.

Im having a hard time understanding how to do this, and that link just confuses me even more.

You don't happen to have skype to you? I need a better visual explanation I think. Be really appreciated.

5. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

I don't have access to just go upstairs as I please. I rent the basement suite.

6. valis

valis Moderator

have your landlord do it. If you have the access to the router even once, you don't need to 'come and go' as you please. Just set it up once and you are good to go.

7. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

They are never home. I need to figure out how to do it like the 1st dude was trying to explain. Going upstairs is not an option.

8. valis

valis Moderator

do you have permission to use their router?

and as an aside, how do you pay them? :) I mean, if they are never home........

9. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

I have access to their router via 192.168.0.whatever...yes.

Physically no, tho.

10. valis

valis Moderator

but are you ALLOWED to use their router is what I am asking.........it seems odd that you cannot physically access it at any time whatsoever, which is why I'm asking.

11. eVo14

eVo14 Thread Starter

Yes I have access. This is getting off point tho. I'm trying to figure out how to do what the first guy said to me. Im just having trouble. Sorry, its just very frustrating. =(

12. valis

valis Moderator

terry, back to you. :)

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not sure what you are not understanding about those similar questions, but the question is not "off point." You introduced "I don't have access to just go upstairs as I please" and we now need to know why you can never go upstairs.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice