1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use RDC!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by m0pelley99, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m0pelley99

m0pelley99 Thread Starter

I'm a little angry now... [​IMG]

...I've been working on trying to get RDC to work for about an hour now, and no luck at all!

First time I used a Microsoft guide and enabled RDC, opened the ports, everything it said. I went into RDC on another computer and put in all the info. It takes a second then an error comes up saying the wrong info is in there.

Is there any way to remotely connect to my PC from another one using Remote Control Desktop?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. m0pelley99

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Would help to have more details.

The first thing I would try and do is make sure it just works on your lan using the lan ip addreses. That way you can take the router and port forwarding out of the equation.

What operating systems are you using on both computers? Disable any firewalls temporarily to make sure that isn't the issue.

What is the make and model of your router?

4. m0pelley99

Firewall isn't the issue. And all the ports have been opened, all necessary needs for RDC to work.

Both computers run Windows XP Pro.

Make and model of the router is
    A-Open AOR-401M

5. avisitor

avisitor

You're forwarding 3389 to the computer in question, right.

6. m0pelley99

Yes, and nothing else except my router and firewall (widows) was blocking it.

7. Squashman

I am not quite understanding you. Are you saying you can remote desktop to the computer on your lan just fine but not from the Internet. You aren't testing it by trying to loopback into your network? That doesn't work for all routers. The connection needs to be coming directly from outside your network.

8. m0pelley99

Oh..

Yea the first time I tried to connect using a computer on my network, but no luck. It looks like its about to connect but all I get is a quick flash, no error, and it doesn't log in. Just goes back to the screen.

Can someone give me a working step-by-step process to trial-and-error this?

TIA,
    Mike

9. Squashman

Your positive the Windows Firewall or any other firewall on the computer isn't blocking the connection?

10. m0pelley99

The only firewall is windows, and I turned that off to test it.

My router might be blocking it, but I have port forwarded port 3389. Do I need the UDP port opened also?

11. Squashman

Don't test it thru the Router. Just use the computers LAN ip address to test it first. Make sure it works on your lan first and then you can test it from the Internet.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice