1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to use SSD full potential?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pieter222, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pieter222

Pieter222 Thread Starter

Helo every one.
    I am very new to all to all the computer lingo and stuff so I will try not to sound too stupid. But I bought a laptop today that was a bit under what I wanted to spend so I asked them to install an SSD. The guy then said that the ssd will be put in with the 1tb hdd already in the laptop. The ssd is a WD Black m.2 500GB.

My question just is how do I optimize the speed of my laptop? How do I actually use the ssd to its full potential? How and what should i store on the ssd and what should i store on the hdd. I do not totally understand how its installed but thats beside the point. Could someone just explain how i should use the ssd speed potential fully?

Thanks for all the answers and sorry if I sound confused. Its because I am.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

The SSD needs to be the Boot drive (c) and use the 1TB for storage. SSD's are about 5 times faster than mechanical hard drives.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The SSD will be faster than the HDD for writing and reading so putting the Operating System (Windows usually) on it makes sense. Also any programs or games you use a lot will load and save faster if installed onto the SSD.

The HDD is best used to store data files like videos, music and documents.

500GB is a lot though and you may be able to put everything on the SSD, it all depends on what you use the computer for.

What make and model laptop is it ?

4. Pieter222

Pieter222 Thread Starter

It is a lenovo yoga 520 i5 8th gen. I bought it and installed 8 GB ram (now has 12 in total) and an 500GB black wd ssd.
    So you install the programs you want to run fast on the ssd and movies and files on the hdd?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    There's a bit more to it, the SSD only speeds up saving and loading data, when you start the laptop it loads the OS from the drive so putting the OS onto the SSD makes good sense because you will get to the Desktop faster. Also any programs installed on the SSD will save and load using the SSD and that will be faster than using the HDD.

The CPU speed, RAM speed and the GPU speed will govern how fast a program actually runs, the drive speed won't change that.

Videos and other data don't really need the extra save and load speed of the SSD and will work fine from the HDD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice