1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to watch DVD-RAM on my computer?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sachit64, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sachit64

sachit64 Thread Starter

I have a 1.4GB DVD-RAM from Maxell that has 5 minutes of footage on it.

I'm trying to put it into my DVD rom drive and nothing is showing up in the drive. Its as if the CD is blank.

When I run it on my friends computer, his shows three folders (for data when recording the footage on the camera) and from this one folder is able to find the footage already recorded.

Why can't I view it?

EDIT: I have a Dell Inspiron 6000, and it did the same thing on my other friends Dell Inspiron 6000. But the friends laptop who it worked on, they had a Sony Vaio. Hardware?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a DVD drive that offers DVD-RAM capability, this is a hardware issue, not a software one. I have several machines that have DVD-RAM compatible drives, and XP handles them with no additional drivers.

3. sachit64

sachit64 Thread Starter

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It could be the media. The drive may not see it. One solution is to update the firmware of the DVD drive, but that could be risky as anything that goes wrong could make your drive dead.

5. sachit64

sachit64 Thread Starter

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Get the Nero Info Tool from Nero Tools Download, it'll tell you all about the real capabilities of your drive, including DVD-RAM capability (or not). :)

7. sachit64

sachit64 Thread Starter

Well that solved that problem... no DVD-RAM capability.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    JW, beat me to it. :)

The first link did say CD-RW/DVD-ROM, then below that went on to say DVD-RAM...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!