How to watch DVD-RAM on my computer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sachit64

I have a 1.4GB DVD-RAM from Maxell that has 5 minutes of footage on it.

I'm trying to put it into my DVD rom drive and nothing is showing up in the drive. Its as if the CD is blank.

When I run it on my friends computer, his shows three folders (for data when recording the footage on the camera) and from this one folder is able to find the footage already recorded.

Why can't I view it?

EDIT: I have a Dell Inspiron 6000, and it did the same thing on my other friends Dell Inspiron 6000. But the friends laptop who it worked on, they had a Sony Vaio. Hardware?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need a DVD drive that offers DVD-RAM capability, this is a hardware issue, not a software one. I have several machines that have DVD-RAM compatible drives, and XP handles them with no additional drivers.

Couriant

James
It could be the media. The drive may not see it. One solution is to update the firmware of the DVD drive, but that could be risky as anything that goes wrong could make your drive dead.

Couriant

James
JW, beat me to it. :)

The first link did say CD-RW/DVD-ROM, then below that went on to say DVD-RAM...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!