How to wipe clean a hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

karbo

Banned
I'm planning on buying a new computer soon. Although I don't have anything that important or personal on my hard drive right now, I would prefer it to be completely clean before getting rid of it. Do you know a program or an application that would help me achieve this effectively, besides running over it with my car a few times?:D

Thank you

try this...

Darik's Boot and Nuke
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you're planning to trash that desktop and not give it to a family member or friend or some organization, remove the hard drive and then drill or hammer a few holes in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

karbo

Banned
Of course, that's the surest way of cleaning the hard drive. Since it's an old computer (8 years), I don't think anybody would want it anyway.

If you're planning to trash that desktop and not give it to a family member or friend or some organization, remove the hard drive and then drill or hammer a few holes in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then burn the drive with hydrochloric acid. :D(y)

How to Destroy a Hard Drive

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You'd be surprised what you can do with an 8-year old desktop with a few cheap upgrades and a few hours work.

Look at my signature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrss

If you happen to own a screwdriver kit with all them funny bits, you can open up the drive and there are some really strong magnets inside.

Not much use for 2GB and smaller drives otherwise.

karbo

Banned
Wow! Not much use for 2GHz?!? I've got a 900 MHz with 512 MB RAM and it stills does the job under XP Pro for a lot of applications. Of course, it may be a bit slow sometimes but it still works.

If I had what Flavallee has, I wouldn't change!

Flavallee, I see you've got SP3. I suppose it's the Beta version because Microsoft shoud release its official version in April? How does it perform? Any bugs and important issues? What about the drivers? Will the ones working on SP1 and SP2 still work under SP3?

Wow! Not much use for 2GHz?!? I've got a 900 MHz with 512 MB RAM and it stills does the job under XP Pro for a lot of applications. Of course, it may be a bit slow sometimes but it still works.
Hi karbo! try to double your RAM (2 x 512MB) :)

karbo

Banned
I can't. The maximum I can put in my computer is 768 MB. And, if I want to buy the 256 MB, it almost doesn't exist anymore for this type of computer and would cost 200-300$. I have a Compaq Presario 5WV296 bought in 2000.

DUDE! Thats not very old RAM. List the SPECIFICS of the RAM you are looking for. Ram is one of the things I pull and save for later. I have a ton. Many of us here do. Respond with what you need. Its not doing me any good just sitting in a box.....
( I'm trying to to help you, not make money off you ):D

karbo

Banned
I appreciate your help, but I've already placed my order for a new computer. It's going to be very different from what I'm used to:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz 6 MB processor
Asus P5K/P35 Mother Board
Kingston "DDR2" 2048 MB RAM
500 GB HD
PALIT 8800GT Graphic

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Karbo:

When I was given the HP Pavilion 8565C, it had only 1 - 128 MB module and had 2 empty slots. I had 2 spare 128 MB modules in my parts kit, so it cost me nothing to max out the RAM(the motherboard supports a maximum of 384 MB). I replaced the 16 MB Nvidia video card and the Riptide sound card with a 128 MB ATI video card and a Soundblaster Audigy sound card for a little over $60.00 total. The 500 MHz processor speed is the main bottleneck in how slow Windows XP runs in it, but the computer does what I need it for.

I did have 2 HP Pavilion desktops with Windows Vista, but I'm happier with Windows XP and it's easier to work with, so I sold them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online