How to wipe Ubuntu and go back to windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RossAroni

Hi all,

I have an old HD with Linux Ubuntu 14 on it.
I am so far behind with updates, it doesn't even want to update anymore.
I'm not sure, but it might still have windows XP on it, but it wont show up in the boot sequence.(new it was a Gateway with XP installed, still have serial #) In fact on a machine running windows 10 it doesn't even want to show up in explorer. All I really want to do is wipe Ubuntu off it and install windows 10, or 11 on it, so I can have that PC as a back up. I have gotten to this point in disc management. I think it is Disc 1. However, I am not totally sure that disc 1 is part of disc 0 since it is 500GB, and disc 1 equals the missing GB on disc 0.
Anyway, I don't have much time to spend on this. Can any one tell me an easy way to wipe the disc and install windows. I am writing this on windows 10 on my main machine, so the other HD is plugged in internally now.
in the attached photo of disc management, I get very little options from the right click menu. Only 2 choices;
1. right click on the disc area, "delete volume"
2. rt click on title, "convert to dynamic disc, or "properties"

So if I click "delete volume" will it mount up after that? do I need to "delete volume" twice?
Thx

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The whole project is a waste of time
I know that is not the answer you wanted but a disc - drive that is I think 40GB - disc1 on your disc managment screenshot is not going to be suitable to install windows 10 or 11.
I just cannot see where you are coming from on this task

What is it hope to achieve
All I really want to do is wipe Ubuntu off it and install windows 10, or 11 on it, so I can have that PC as a back up.
Both windows 10 and 11 as an OS ONLY can be downloaded free of charge from Microsoft and the download then executed as a REPAIR install from within Wiindows 10 or 11.

To have the Gateway as a BACK UP - you presumably mean as a backup to your computer on whioh you have 10 installed and are posting on this thread
That is NOT possible - please look at the Disc0 and you will see that youhave 465.16GB on the parttion lettered C
On there free space is 323.21GB
Therefore you have used 141.95GB
Clearly you cannot backup that to a 40GB space.

Addtionally to all that that old Gateway will certainly NOT install 11 and indeed will struggle with 10 - albeit it may work of a fashion.

As to the way forward and bearing in mind you say
Anyway, I don't have much time to spend on this.
The best advice is to forget your plan and use the 40GB either in the Gasteway and install a version of LInux
OR keep it in the present computer and use it for storing whatever data you wish - just ensure it is not data that is not contained elsewhere on a backup or data of no importance to you

As to the drive -

1. Select the drive with the partition you want to remove.
  2. Right-click (only) the partition you want to remove and select the Delete Volume option.
do that for both partitions and then you will end up with unallocated space

1. Click the Yes button to confirm all the data will be erased.
Once you complete the steps, the partition and its contents will no longer be available on the drive making space available to expand another partition or format the drive with a new scheme.

and then format it as you wish.

IT IS of course over to you - to make sure that there is NO data on that drive that you wish to use,
If it does have LINUX on it that is why it does not show in Explorer, as you will see in disk management the file system is not identified on that disk.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I believe you have seen my reply
as you have visited the site today
You response would be greatly appreciated, when you get chance

RossAroni

Thanks a million! That helps a lot.
PS, backup PC just meant that it could be a back up PC to finish my work if my main machine broke.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
PS, backup PC just meant that it could be a back up PC to finish my work if my main machine broke.
Well it cannot be used to finish a job on the other computer, if the same software and that partially finsished task - say an office dodument are not on the Gateway - except if you have a Microsoft account and your work is saved to the Cloud.
and of course that relies on the old Gateway being able to run 10 in the first place

RossAroni

Well, very true. I do have my work saved in my brokers data base for trading.
So I will sell the gateway for a few bucks to someone with a bigger Hard drive.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, that was the information I needed. And I cant express my appreciation more to you and all the others who help me out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online