1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to wire in RJ45 connector screen

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlbertB, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

I know the correct pinouts for 568A and 568B action, but in a recent install in a very harsh environment, (on a seismic boat alongside sheafs of really heavy cables carrying massive current pulses), the idea of the screen termination became a real issue.

So can someone put me straight, just how should the screen be connected at the connector to ensure a proper screening action?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd probably run the cable(s) through a metal conduit or continuous metal braided sheath, grounded of course. In aircraft installations, that's how we run sensitive cables to avoid EMI issues, and the tests there are pretty severe. :)

3. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

You've hit the nail on the head JohnWill. For the sheath/screen to be effective in any way I understood it to need grounding, at one end at least. There seem to be 2 options to me. The easier is to lead the shield wire out of the back of the plug and terminate it to a ground point on the case. Or you could make sure the RJ45 connectors have slip on metal shields over them and pinch the wire under that. This will need a metal walled socket for the plug to be inserted into though, most I see seem to be plastic.

I have tried that second idea and once the wire was in place I then couldn't get the metal sleeve to slip over the plug body! I looked on the web and I can find plenty of sites which give you pinout details but none which cover the screening issue. It just doesn't seem to be handled correctly by anyone, except in really serious cases with top level solutions like your own.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can buy metal braid shields and just cover the cable with them from end to end. Obviously, you'll be grounding it at one end, preferable at the equipment end. Depending on the specific environment, it's sometimes better to have a single point ground, other times grounding at multiple points along the shield are preferable.

Here's a sample, but by no means the only one available: http://cableorganizer.com/metal-braided-sleeving/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice