How to work offline?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justincase

This is probably a really dumb question but...
I don't like turning the computer on and off all the time. On the other hand, it makes me very nervous to leave it just sitting there running because some nefarious person could be using my resources to do something evil. I know how to get offline by pushing the button on top of the modem - but then there's no signal to the router, so my housemate can't get online either. I'm sure there's a really obvious way to just get my computer offline without turning it off....but I don't know what it is. Please help!

justincase

Thank you MFDnSC but I don't have Zone Alarm.
The computer has Windows Me, I use Internet Explorer to get on the internet. I've just recently installed Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus for 2005. The computer gets its internet signal from Comcast, through a router, same as my housemate's computer does, so I can't turn off the modem because that would affect the other computer.
I'm not sure what information to offer, in order to get an answer to this question, but my goal is to be able to leave the computer on even when I'm not actually working, without worrying about bad guys sneaking into my ports and ravaging the computer's innards or borrowing my computer to do their bad things with.

Providing you haven't gone into the routers settings and opened any ports manually, you should be safe. To be sure, you might try going to www.dslreports.com and run a port scan. It should tell you if there are any ports open.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online