1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How: Transfer harddrive to new computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ARBAT, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

How do I transfer all my harddrive info from a Dell to a new HP?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If XP, you will need to re-install after connecting the drive to a different machine. Or you can just plug it in to the new machine as a secondary if all you want is data.

3. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

So I don't need to transfer anything?
    Just add the harddrive?

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

But that won't work if the old one is a IDE connection and the new one is SATA. If that is what you have you will need a "Converter" for the IDE drive.

How much(MB/GB?) data are you talking about ?

Can you netwrok the 2 PC's? then you can transfer files, or else use a USB memory stick to transfer.

5. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

Installed a 60 GB IDE Harddrive 2004.
    Instead of transferring can I use a secondary harddrive (HP has storage for another harddrive)
    Can I still retreive all my information?
    Are you saying I still need a converter for the IDE?

6. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I'm saying if this is a new computer, it is most likely a SATA connection to the HD, you can tell because the IDE is the wide "ribbon" cable and the SATA cable is about a half inch wide.

I haven't had to do this but you will need some thing to "Adapt" if you have the 2 different types. If both connections are the same then you can do like Evandil said and make it a Slave (secondary) drive.

But I would not even go through that trouble (convert connection) unless you wanted to keep that second drive, you should look at using some form of USB storage to transfer the data ( even if you can borrow one)

7. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

I just returned from Circuit City.
    The technician said my harddrive isn't turning (dead)
    and he can't transfer my data.
    Ok.....now I need my data for the accountant & photos.
    How do I retreive data from a dead harddrive?
    Firedog technician at CCity says they don't have the right
    equipment.
    Also, he said if I find someone they could transfer all the harddrive to a disc.

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

There are most likely places in your area that advertise Data recovery, but it would be a good Idea to get this post moved to the Hardware section as those guys can give more advise on that.

*report Post to moderator and ask them to move it.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

When was the last time you used this hard drive without problems? Your posts sounded like you just got a new computer and were using the old one, but if you're now saying that technicians are telling you the hard drive won't even spin up, was the old computer sitting around for some period of time without being used?

Professional data recovery services can be very expensive, and there's no guarantee anything will be recovered.

Here's one service I found when searching: www.ontrack.com. They'll give you a quote on the cost.

10. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

Old computer was working since 1998 and all day & night of 7/6/07.

Monitor fizzled out AM of 7/7/07. It crackled & split & went out.
    Bought the new HP on 7/8/07

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm going to move this to hardware and close whatever is left.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You bought a whole new computer because the monitor failed? If technicians told you the hard drive won't spin up, I'd say the monitor wasn't the problem.

Regardless, if it you can't access it, and you've already taken it to two different places, and they can't do anything with it, your only option is a professional data recovery company.

13. MackAtMidnight

MackAtMidnight

Arbat

If you are are using WindowsXP have you considered using the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. This is one way to copy settings and files to a new computer.

Additionally if your drive is "Maxtor" you can use their disk utility, "Maxblast" to clone the drive. I'm sure there are others on the market for other types of drives.

Just a suggestion
    MackAtMidnight

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This thread is over a year old :eek: I'm sure if he hasn't figured it out by now...........

15. MackAtMidnight

MackAtMidnight

Sorry about that AcaCandy

I'm a newbie and didn't check the post day. Won't make that mistake again

Mack

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice