1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How uninstall Netscape 4.7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MRBEE, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

My Netscape 4.7 has recently developed some kind of glitch. For example, I am unable to enter "help". Other strange things happen. For example, if I receive a notice from TSG in Communicator that I have a message, I can't get here by clicking on the link in the message. But, if I use I.E. to enter TSG, no problem.

So, I would like to uninstall 4.7 and then reinstall it -- which, hopefully, might clear things up. I've tried over-installing it, but that doesn't help. I can't find the uninstall file.

I could try to uninstall using Norton System Works of the add/remove button in Windows 98, but I would prefer using the one provided by Netscape if I can find it (if there is one?).

2. brianF

brianF

did you look in control panel, add remove programs, it should be in there.

When done make sure you delete the netscape folder it was installed in as I am sure the uninstaller won't get it all.

3. hewee

hewee

4. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Thanks, Hewee, I'll try that site.

I kinda think I caused this problem when attempting to clean up my harddisk. Probably removed some essential files. So far, only Netscape seems to be affected by it.

Andy, Brian, if there is no uninstall file in Netscape itself, I'll try the add/remove thing in the control panel.

5. hewee

hewee

MRBEE,

If you tell us what the trouble is and we can go from there.

Where did you delete the file from?

If you do do any make a backup of your user folder.

6. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Well, I'm just getting deeper and deeper in trouble. I tried to perform a "clean" removal of the old Netscape 4.7 and then reinstal it from a CD ROM. However, not only did this not help, I have now lost all my bookmarks! This latter problem should not be fatal since, while doing this, I have had a new harddisk added to my computer, and all my old files are still on the old harddisk -- so I assume my bookmarks are still present in the other disk. Also, I had previously imported them into "favorites" in I.E.

But -- first problems first. The 4.7 browser still doesn't work right: a) can't call up "help", b) when there's a link inserted in a hotmail email, I can't click it on (it starts to work, sort of shudders, then nothing); c) a link posted in a message here, in TSG, likewise just causes a shudder.

Any suggestions?

7. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

I've found the missing bookmarks, so that's no longer a problem. Otherwise, we're at square one.
    Still can't fully utilize Netscape 4.7 -- no "help" access, etc.

8. hewee

hewee

See this page here.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/nsusersprof.html

and

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/nscleaninstall.html#ci

This one tells you what files to delete in your windows folder.

"Delete the nsreg.dat, and netscape.ini files. You can either do a "Find" for them, or locate them in C:\Windows. If you feel insecure with
    deleting these files, then make a back up first."

Really you can get all you need from this page to do a new install. Maybe just getting the two file deleted from windows will do it for ya.
    If not then you can Delete these Registry Keys if you know how.
    Just back up the Registry first.

The site owner Ramona is over here at this board if you need more help.

http://www.WindowsBBS.com/index.php?referrerid=12=

9. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Thought I'd let you know, found the problem. It did not lay with Netscape after all. It appears a conflict has developed between Netscape and some of the running programs -- Norton Anti-virus, a little program called Pop-up Stopper, and the task scheduler. When I exit/turn-off all three, no problem with Netscape. I note that Norton Anti-virus seems to be corrupted, or at least that's what appears to be the case when I run the fixit program of SystemWorks.

Anyway, whether I understand it or not, I can now use Netscape. Thanks for your (& Ramona's) help. I would have totally given up but for the help I was getting, which after some hours led me to note this problem -- since I turned off all running programs when uninstalling & reinstalling Netscape. Then, by process of trial and error, I was able to narrow down the particular culprits.

So, thanks.

10. hewee

hewee

MRBEE,

Your welcome.

Do you mean Disk Doctor or WinDoctor?

Maybe you need to run the scan and defrag more.

Anyhow glad you got it fixed.

Post back in a couple days when you know for sure that all is ok and then click on "Report this post to a moderator" and to say the case is [SOLVED] and it will get marked as so.

11. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

The problem was caused by Pop-Up Stopper, a little freebie program I recently downloaded. I have now removed it entirely. Netscape is definitely back in perfect order and all its functions are working fine . . . EXCEPT for one thing. When I log-on via Netscape, after the connection is made, and just before the home page should appear, everything comes to a halt. That is, the little gray bar moving back and forth at the bottom of the screen just keeps doing that. In that condition, I am unable to move to any web sites. So, what I have to do is X out of Netscape, but without disconnecting from the Internet, then click the Netscape icon in desktop, and then the home page promptly appears and all is well.

All things being equal, I would prefer those extra steps were unnecessary, however, it's no big deal and I can live with it.

MRBEE

12. hewee

hewee

OK try this.
    Bookmark your homepage. Then go to edit preferences. Highlite the Navigator on the left side and on the right side pick "blank page" as your home page.
    Close down netscape and delete the "netscape.hst" file.

Open up Netscape and you should have a "blank page". Now click on the bookmark of your homepage.

Does it work ok now?
    If so go to preferences again and where it says "Use current page" click on it.

Close down and open it up again to see how it works. From what you said maybe log off and back on to test it too.

If all other web pages work find then you can do as I did and make your own web page. You can do that in "composer" I just have a image as my homepage so it comes up real fast. Plus if I am online and want to open another Netscape window by going to edit, new, Navigator window it does not need to go out and download a page so it comes right. Also I never need to be online to have my homepage show up.

13. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Hewee,

OK try this. Bookmark your homepage. Then go to edit preferences. Highlite the Navigator on the left side and on the right side pick "blank page" as your home page. Close down netscape and delete the "netscape.hst" file. Open up Netscape and you should have a "blank page". Now click on the bookmark of your homepage. Does it work ok now?"OK try this.

Tried it. Didn't work.

Hewee, I think I'm about ready to give this one up. However, Ramona is still trying to help.

MRBEE

14. hewee

hewee

MRBEE,

What gets me is when you have to close down netscape and open it again to go to the same homepage.

I mean it's the same page so it should work the first time. But you know that. Why is it doing this is what needs to be found.

Ramona would know a lot more tricks then I would.

But I would back up my user folder and delete nescape and make sure all the files are gone and delete the Registry Keys too.

Then install netscape again.
    If you have don't this buy using the same user folder already then there are ways to get just your email, bookmarks and address book. That way your other preferences with what ever bug there is will not get put back on your PC. Or I would think it wouldn't.

Also:
    Have you made a new user profile?
    I would give that a try too and put in the same homepage to see what happens.

I was over at Windows BBS and looking at the Netscape Navigator treads but don't see your name there.

How about posting your tread here for us so we know what else is going on.

15. hewee

hewee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice