1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How up-to-date do you keep your computer?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Topazz, Jan 5, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I just tested my PC at Pitstop and got the rather demoralising message that over 75% of the PCs tested there were way faster/better specs/more modern etc etc than my poor Darling.

It doesn't worry me much because Darling does what I want it to do, but I get the impression that most people are always upgrading their bits and pieces, and even their machines, on a very regular basis.

So, is your PC the latest and greatest or have the latest and greatest updated parts, and why or why not?

2. deuce

deuce

Well... it depends on what you want, how much money you are willing to blow on your "Darling" and what you need your computer for. Businesses usually like to stay on top of the market and get their employees or at least executives the best as soon as it comes out each time it comes out to max efficiency. Most home pc users get the newest or almost newest each time their old "Darling" kicks the dust. Most AMD users are constantly upgrading their cpus because they are so inexpensive. Mostly though... people get all their hardware at the same time as the computer, and stick with it as long as they can. It also depends on the quality people go for. Some people like good quality so they buy more expensive stuff and replace it less often, so don't care and buy less expensive stuff and replace it more often. So really, it depends on when you started your cycle. If it has been awhile since you last overhauled, you are probably due for one in the next few years. I guess with market prices as they are and the ecomony as it is favoring cheap prices from woeing pc companies that a lot of people have been dong their overhauls now. If your "Darling" does what you want it to then hopefully he/she won't hear all the ranting and banter by all the other "Darlings" out there that are getting their masters to upgrade and so your "Darling" will keep chugging as it has been. Also, in NZ I can imagine prices are more expensive.

...either that or you just have an antique. :rolleyes:

:D :D

3. mole

mole

My "Darling" at work has a bios dated from 1993, a 240MHz Evergreen upgrade processor, 72 MB RAM, 6GB HD w/On-Track overlay in the boot tracks, runs Win98 OE, IE 5. Visits to MS's Updates several times a week and all critical updates keep it going. It was the PC that got me into networking (Banyan and then NT), server administration, registry hacking, first time on the WWW, learned how to custom setup in config.sys to boot to Win3.11/DOS 6.22 or Win9x/DOS 7. It runs an NT4 Server by remote control, an FT-IR and an HPLC with a data system from 1988 (lab instruments).

Its going to be replaced when I get a new FT-IR microscope in March. Really going to miss it and its been as up to date as I need. I can't type, but the keyboard has the best feel of any I've hunted and pecked on.

4. deuce

deuce

Saint John's University in Collegeville, MN still uses a few 386s in their physics labs. :rolleyes: I was a bit suprised to see them in use, mostly with gyroscopes and lasers, and one was sitting 6 inches from a Silicon Graphics supercomputer.

5. bigh47

bigh47

A couple of guys in Sheffield England have started an Internet Cafe/ computer introduction place for people unable to afford PCs of their own. Nearly all the equipment, PC printers scanners etc have been "reclaimed" from dumpsters or office throw outs following company upgrades. Also many computer fairs resell 2nd user parts some only a year or so old. This suits many people to keep reasonably up to date pretty cheap. You are on to hiding to nothing if you try and keep the latest stuff on your desk any way, if its in the store its out of date. I built my system just before P4 came out about 15 mths ago P3 650 Mhz 20 gig h/d 128 meg ram its certainly much better than my office Dell P2 133.
    Its seems to do all I need, and several things I don't.

Howard

6. jjb

jjb

My system is sooooooooooooo old,2 years in March.Who can keep up?It is a celeron 500mhz,128mb RAM,20gb harddrive with a cd-dvd rom.WhenI got it I only knew how to plug it in.
    My older brother who is somewhat computer savvy informed me that other then maybe doing a little better for the processor I had bought a dream machine.
    It does fine for everything I had intended it for and I have learned so much in 2 years.As everyone knows times change rapidly and my system is now a lightweight at best.I would like to add a cd rewriteable and up my memory soon.Was thinking of updating from 98se to XP but not sure on that yet.I do intend on keeping this system as long as possible by doing any possible upgrades.
    It amazes me at the speed of light technology changes and it seems prices drop almost as fast.But as the prices drop something bigger and better comes along.Really a vicious circle I have entered.
    When I bought mine processor speed was among the highest as was the memory and harddrive.Cd rewriteables had not been out long and were out of my price range.

7. deuce

deuce

Well, anything is better than a PII. PIIs and slot 1 anything just plain sucked. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

8. deuce

deuce

Oh and also... jjb, getting the PIII instead of waiting for the earliest P4 was smart. P4 has such a future coming that the 423 pin P4 isn't wise to get because the 470 came out a little later and now the Northwoods P4 comes out soon and is going to blow the 2.0 Ghz P4 470-pin right outta da water... and won't be compatible with the 470-pin P4 that is out right now.

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well it was just Christmas so I have a new Processor XP 1600 new mother board EPOX EP-8KTA3 new memory 256 Meg and a new case. All for under $300. I am currently testing it on line now with windows media player, a download from microsoft and being here. My only problem is a slow internet connection, but what do you want for five dollars per month. Heats my room too so it's great for winter. At work I have a windows 98 PC at 550 (DELL) and a 1GIG PC running windows 2000 both connected to a 100 lan connection :) :) :)

10. jjb

jjb

woah there deuce,now you blew me out of the water.I am still learning here but I got the gist of the P4 stuff,but what did you mean I was smart about the P3????? I said I have a celeron,my understanding was they are ok but a little less costly,kind of like intels own generic model processor.Did you misread something or am I missing something?

11. Dark Star

Dark Star

jjb,

Your system specs are about ditto with this one I have here at home.

Go back to your question to deuce in a nutshell your PIII is doing a good job for you right?

".Was thinking of updating from 98se to XP but not sure on that yet......."

XP is quite demanding of resources, and that is the least of it's problems. Why is it you want to fix something that ain't broke I ask you?

btw, have you experienced any shutdown problems with 98se?
    If you have not then you are in the BONUS rounds with what you have. It works, it's stable, you use it, and you like it, Right?

IMO, The old addage applies here if it ain't broke don't fix it.

DS

12. Rep

Rep

Greetings

I upgraded a couple of years ago. Nothing fancy by any means. My needs had changed and the old box could not do it any longer. I tend to be like Dark Star, if ain't broken...

I have a small problem with my CD not opening. May have warrenty people stop by and replace before the warrenty is gone. May have them drop in some more RAM. Only because it would be a good time to do it. Don't anticipate other needs know.

13. jjb

jjb

Darn-just had deuce in chat-I hadn't read his reply I could have asked and wouldn't have had to let the whole world see how foolish I am.
    So I take it Deuce and darkstar you are telling me that a celeron is a P3?
    And yes Darkstar I do occaisionally have both startup and shutdown problems.Hangs both ways for lack of a better term.I know what you mean about the resources XP takes but I have also read alot of people do seem to like/prefer it.
    But you are correct,if it isn't broke why fix it-I finally can navigate 98 pretty well.And the bonus was finding TSG because I can seem to find any other answers I need here.

14. hewee

hewee

jjb,

This is what MS says and like most software MS has I think you need more then what they say.

Windows XP statistics
    Minimum system
    requirements
    •
    Pentium II-300 or faster
    (Celerons at these
    speeds aren't
    recommended)
    •
    128MB of RAM
    •
    1.5GB of free disk space

15. bigh47

bigh47

Hi guys I think there's some crossed wires somewhere.

bigh47 (Howard) has the P3

jjb has the celeron

Mind you I've had a couple of beers so anything else is also possible.

Cheers
    Howard:)

That makes me a member now 70 more and I'll have to start asking avatar questions. That may take some time though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice