1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How web browser manage tabs ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by blunderboy24, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blunderboy24

blunderboy24 Thread Starter

Guys,
    I want to know when we send any request from a particular tab of a web browser say firefox.
    Then the page gets opened in the same tab.

How does firefox manage it.

Why request for google.com from 4th page comes to 4th tab only.

Is there some kind of identifier.

Please reply

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The default behavior for HTML links and most browsers is to open the linked page in the same browser Window or tab. It is possible to add a parameter to the HTML link code to instruct the browser to open the linked page in a new browser window. Firefox has a preferences setting to treat such requests by either opening a new browser screen or opening a new tab in the same screen. Not sure about IE.

3. blunderboy24

@ cwwozniak
    I think You misunderstood my question.
    By the way thanks for the reply.
    But i want to ask :-

Suppose i am using mozilla firefox or IE or chrome.
    Now i just opened google.com in 4th tab.
    Now request goes to google server and reply comes back.Then how does browser ensures the response come in the same tab in which it was requested.?

Why google.com does not open in 5th tab or 3rd tab ?

May be you answered right and i failed to understand.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The browser knows what tab you were in when you clicked the link. The browser also knows where incoming data is coming from and can match it up with the original link request.

5. blunderboy24

Yes, but i want to know how does the browser know this thing in which tab request has to be opened ?

Is there some kind of identifier which is associated with the tab ?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I sense a communications problem between the two of us. Maybe somebody else here knows exactly what information you are seeking.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Pages open either in the current tab or a new tab. I have an extension in Firefox that I can configure to open "new tabs" next to the current tab.

A browser can't know to open something in the 4th tab 'cause people might not have 4 tabs open. Whatever behavior you're seeing can be explained by either existing tab or new tab behavior unless you're running some type of extension.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice