Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How & Where Can a Total Noob Learn Networking?

827 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
Hi, I want to learn about networking. I have a wireless home ntwork which I'm positive isn't very secure, plus I want to learn about firewalls AND Proxies. I have to call up my ISP 2-4x a month to reset my Proxie settings and such and sometimes its just a matter of resetting my software settings, so I would love to skip the 3 hours on hold with them a month when ever possible.

I'm a complete beginner to networking and I tried to read Networking + which was too advanced and Networking for Dummies, but I couldn't get into it because sometimes the "For Dummies" books are boring no matter what the topic. However, I'm an avid reader of both Ebooks and my Fav-old fashioned books. I have a really good library and can request many books as long as I'm patient, which I am since I can't afford the cost of creating a home library. Web videos like Youtube and such are cool too, but if I have a too many of ads coming at me from everywhere like on some sites or have to click after every paragraph I get distracted from learning.

So can you recommend any sources?

Also, do you know of any legal EBook libraries open to any resident of the US to download?:cool:
I know they exist but I lost the 1 link I had to a free library that had every topic and most titles imaginable both new and old, but lost it when my computer crashed.:eek:

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd stick with Net+. It's good low level stuff that you will need at some point regardless. If that's too advanced for you, you are going to have issues moving forward.

#4 ·
i got my hands on my first computer in 1986 (office computer at work), knew nothing about them, or DOS (operating system) but i spent a couple hours each day before, during lunch, and after work to get hands on experience. in 1995 i bought my first computer, damn it was fast! 8 megs of ram, 40mb hard drive, and the fastest dial up modem you could get 28.8 kilobits per second of raging speed. i knew nothing, but started joining computer forums (like this one) reading PC magazines, and when i wanted to learn about my computer i would go to device manager, click on one of my devices, get the make and model, then go to the web and google that item, read all i could about, then if it was something that could be tweaked, i would google again how to tweak settings, and so on.

i read on forums other people's problems, how that problem was solved, and if it applied to my computer then i would apply the fix to my computer.

in my earlier years i did a lot of gaming and would set up gaming profiles, tweaks for the graphics card, overclock the processor, and along the way i learned more than i had set out to learn.

search the internet for your answers, use the forums, there is untold resources out there.
dj

#5 ·
I admire you, but alas I'm not quite adapt at things. I too got my first PC in 1996 with Windows 95 on it. It was my birthday and Christmas presents for over 2 years. I couldn't afford to connect to the internet for 3 years at which time I did manage to figure out how to add some RAM and I was very proud of myself, but technology is moving too fast for me and I guess I don't absorb as much of this stuff as most or I would've went to school for computer engineering as I wanted to, but I flunked out of my intro to programing class.

#6 ·
slickgothchick,
well you got here and know how to post your question, so start by googling "how to setup a security key for a wireless network" and start clicking on the links until you find one that answers your questions, or is written in a way that is easy for you to understand. then go from there with your other questions. you have to put forth some effort to discover on your own those things that you are interested in as they pertain to your computer. same with life.............

#7 ·
Read through the user guide for your router and threads (at least the first post to see which are of interest) in this forum. Ask a few questions as long as they don't seriously hijack the thread.

Use WPA(2)-PSK encryption and a strong passphrase and your wireless network will be as secure as any. The most important thing for a strong passphrase is to not use a dictionary word nor anything easily guessable. Use upper and lower case, digits and special characters.

#8 ·
Thank you for your help. I know bits and pieces of info that may make it sound like I know much more at some times than happens to be true.
My password comes with the router provided by my ISP and is a long bunch of gibberish (not something like admin and dog22) so that's my most secure part. Plus I'm not supposed to change it, according to the sticker and their Tech Support.
The fact that I live in one of the most crowded areas in the country is not so comforting except for the fact that there are free open City sponsored hotspots in much of town. I just wouldn't want to pay my bills or do anything even semi-private on them or I might consider using 1 with an antenna full time. I would like to eventually get an antenna and use the public hotspot for a backup when my ISP goes down or is doing maintenance.

And I am interested in putting in the time I'm not lazy despite my sometimes obvious questions. I do have a learning disability which makes some things harder to sink in. Sorry, but I guess I'll go back to the For Dummies or try For Idiots book since Network+ is over 1,000 pages and a bit complex. Its not for a networking beginner. IMHO Maybe, after I have a few networking books under my belt, I'll retry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.