1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How will I get rid of the Compress Old Files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atish_aa, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

cleanmgr.exe that is the Disk Cleanup Utility used to hang while scanning Compress Old Files and thareafter scanning of the Compress Old Files was stopped by applying a registry tweak and now Disk Cleanup works perfectlty well but does not scan and clean the Compress Old Files!

I believe that the Compress Old Files on my system must be occupying a hell lot of space on my hard disk!

If this is true (if not true then how are the Compress Old Files cleaned up?) then someone please tell me how to clean up the Compress Old Files and other useless files that are no longer required on my hard-disk?

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

See if this works for you:

1. Type Regedit in Start - Run
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches
    3. Open "Compress Old Files" folder
    4. Delete all files in this folder
    5. Reboot
    6. Run Disk Cleanup

3. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

PC_Wiz, when you say Open "Compress Old Files" folder and Delete all files in this folder, I'm sure you mean the same as this, but I just wanted to clarify it for our friend...

Locate, and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

Expand the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
    Delete the Compress old files registry key.

4. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

Also, if you remove this file: "compact.exe" < File Compress Utility from C:\WINDOWS\system32 the entry for Compress Old Files will disapear altogether from your Disk Cleanup Utility

5. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

If I delete the compact.exe then, will I then be able to compress files in future or will I be able to use the Disk Compress feature on the context menu on right clicking the C: drive. or any other file.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226243