1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how would i give the highest priority to my xbox

Discussion in 'Networking' started by protorso, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. protorso

protorso Thread Starter

i have a speedstream 4200 modem and a belkin enhance wireless router model number-- f6d4230-4 v1

i would like to know if i could make my xbox the highest priority for this router or modem.. if so can u please tell me how i would do it

2. protorso

protorso Thread Starter

anyone no how

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe that you will find a way to do that. The router will divide the bandwidth among the users.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Unless your router supports some sort of QOS rules then you will get what the router dishes out.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Check the router for availability of QOS settings. That router is running Linux with iptables, and iptables certainly supports QOS so it all depends on whether the router makes the option available as a menu item.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've used a bandwidth shaping tool before called "cFos Speed" (I think). It actually worked pretty well and dramatically speeded up some things at the expense of less important traffic. But it was complex and could only be used on a PC, anyway, or through Internet Connection Sharing.

Do the other users of this connection know what you are trying to do?

If you are the only one online, the problem disappears. Or maybe you need an upgraded connection.

7. protorso

protorso Thread Starter

im trying to make it where my sister doesn't no what im doing because she doesnt no nothing about the routers or anything but when she get on here iphone it will randomly lag me out of xbox so i want to make here iphone have very slow internet trafficing

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Well that seems pretty selfish.

I think this is a matter for you to take up with your parents, and not something for us to be involved with.

9. protorso

protorso Thread Starter

um well if u played xbox and it kicks u off every 5 secs u would be pissed off to her phone takes up all the internet and her phone has unlimited data so she can get on it with here iphone without our internet

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!