How would I go about getting a new hard drive and replacing old one?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

airmcnair06

I want to upgrade to maybe and 80 gb or 40 gb, so I can have more space, cause Im at the wdge of my space everyday, like deleting stuff I still want, I never have more than a gig free anymore, and I wanna burn dvd's, but I need 4 gigs to do that......

So Im gonna upgrade hdd's, I want to replace the one I have now, with a bigger one, but I want to transfer all of the stuff I have on here now to the new one, without moving a single thing, like, keep all program files intact and everything just want more space and I only have one computer to work with.

Can sumone tell me how this is possible? Thanx in advance

if you buy a retail drive it should come with software to clone the drive I believe

well depending on how old your motherboard/pc is, there should be 2 slots on your IDE cable, allowing you to just add the new hard drive and everything will be fine. you'll have the old ones knowledge+space and the new ones space together. if your computer is newer and you are using Serial ATA (SATA) then you might have up to 4 slots to put hard drives in. it all depends on the money you want to spend, and the computer age/type you have

if it doesnt come with software try something like norton ghost or similar product.

plus why not just burn all your stuff to disc? you dont need a dvd burner for that...just asking, but whats the size of your hdd now if u dont already have a 40??

airmcnair06

I have a 20 gig right now. And my pc is old, got it in 200, i think it was manufactered in 99, so it does not have any slots for a new drive, I would do that, but all my ide pins are used up, theres on going to the drive, one going to the cd burner, one to the dvd burner, and one to the floppy(which is kinda smaller), and the otehr cable is all used up also, the y cable, I believe it is called, the yellow,black, and red cable. I'll google norton ghost right now

I have exactly 5 4.7 gb dvd's left here form when I was burning dvd's, so that would do it, but when doing that, I would still have to reinstall the software, like my program files, I have to install it into the registry, because if I just put it in there, it wont be in the registry of my pc so what Im saying is I dont want to go through that....

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to verify if your BIOS is new enough to handle drives larger than 32gig. Sometime in 1999, most BIOS writers increased the capacity to 127gigs, then again in 2002, LBA48 was added to handle the larger drives.

If your BIOS is early 1999, you might want to consider this:

airmcnair06

JohnWIll, thanx for letting me know, so, how do I find out which bios I have and if it can handle more space, do I need to call the makers of the pc? Even 32 gb's is good enough, though Ive never seen a 32 gig hdd....

airmcnair06 said:
I have a 20 gig right now. And my pc is old, got it in 200, i think it was manufactered in 99, so it does not have any slots for a new drive, I would do that, but all my ide pins are used up, theres on going to the drive, one going to the cd burner, one to the dvd burner, and one to the floppy(which is kinda smaller), and the otehr cable is all used up also, the y cable, I believe it is called, the yellow,black, and red cable. I'll google norton ghost right now

I have exactly 5 4.7 gb dvd's left here form when I was burning dvd's, so that would do it, but when doing that, I would still have to reinstall the software, like my program files, I have to install it into the registry, because if I just put it in there, it wont be in the registry of my pc so what Im saying is I dont want to go through that....
If you have one hard drive and two burner (CD & DVD) then you should have one slot open (the other cable to the floppy is a different cable). What else could you possibly have on that 4th IDE slot? You may have a single IDE cable in which case you could just buy a new cable with two connectors--slave and master (i.e., you'd have two IDE cables with two connectors each, total of 4 plus the floppy cable which may or may not have two connectors, but you wouldn't use that for a hard drive). Even if all four slots are filled, you can buy a PCI card that will add another IDE connector for two more devices. Finally, you don't need the CD Burner--the DVD burner will also burn CDs. It really is only useful for Disc to Disc burning or if the CD reader is much faster than the DVD.

I agree with the one post the best option is to add a drive rather than replace your current with a bigger one. You are always better off with two drives and keep all your data on the slave or 2nd drive. And don't buy a 40 Gig--80s are only 5 or 10 bucks more for twice the space. Even 120s are only 20 or so more than 80s. Point being the larger you go, the cheaper the cost per Gigabyte.

airmcnair06

My ide cable to my floppy is different, I took a good look at it, it's smaller than the other cables... Is there anything I can do, like, get a different cable, that doesnt have the custom one for floppy (which I havent used since I dont know when) and be able to use the new hdd as mentioned?

Also, the reason I use and need both the dvd and cd buner is the cd burner on the dvd burner is very slow, I believe 32x or 40x, and my cd burner is 52x, which is a big difference, like a 20 minute difference

Thanx for all the help again

airmcnair06

Ok, I just looked on ebay, and I ran across this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8746760117&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Taking a look at the picture, what is the black cord fo?, is this even what I need? Wouldnt I also need that yellow, red, and black cord (whats the name of it?), because my hdd in there now has that cord plugged in also.....

*EDIT* I just ran across this, wher ethey show how it is done- http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-SPEED-USB-2-...747336693QQcategoryZ39967QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It appears that the black ac cord is a sibstitute for the red black and yellow cord I was speaking of above. So, I never knew this, the black red and yellow cord is only for power?

So I could buy this adapter, and buy a new 80 gig hdd, and hook it up and have it sitting outisde the pc? Please tell me if Im missing something.

Thanx

This is what you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124022

It is an internal card that plugs into a open PCI slot on your motherboard--you also need an IDE cable like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812104037

But you still haven't said what you have that is taking up 4 IDE slots. You have one hard drive and two optical drives--that leaves one IDE connector open. You may have a cable connected from your MOBO IDE controller to your hard drive that has only one IDE connection--you can connect two devices to an IDE controller--you just need a cable like the one I linke to above--one is the master, the other is the slave like what you have with your optical drives.

Forget the floppy cable--you can't connect a hard drive to that--but that's a 3rd controller in addition to the two IDE controllers. I've never seen a MOBO without two IDE controllers.

So to summarize:

If you have only three devices (not counting your floppy drive), you can simply purchase a new cable for the one IDE controller and have two devices on that.

If you have 4 devices already hooked up, then you need the PCI card I linke to above (first link) and a cable and that will allow you to add internally two additional devices (i.e., two hard drives or a hard drive and another optical drive).

Why don't you take a picture of your MOBO connectors and devices so we can see what you have.

airmcnair06

well, im at work right now, cant take any pix right now, but I do not have room for that card to go into my pci slot. I have my dsl pci card in there, my dial up modem, and wireless connection pci card. Do you think I should just remove my dial-up and keep it around in case I need it?

Also, is there something wrong with what I recommended above, about the usb cable connector?

airmcnair06 said:
well, im at work right now, cant take any pix right now, but I do not have room for that card to go into my pci slot. I have my dsl pci card in there, my dial up modem, and wireless connection pci card. Do you think I should just remove my dial-up and keep it around in case I need it?

Also, is there something wrong with what I recommended above, about the usb cable connector?
Yes--I doubt very seriously that your computer has USB 2.0 capability (I'm guessing its older) which means attaching a hard drive through USB is going to be very slow and you can't use that as your primary drive. You still didn't answer the question as to what IDE devices you have. You should be able to just get a new cable and have room for two drives on your IDE controller.

airmcnair06

i have the hdd and the two drives hooekd up to the ide's, and after a really close look, there are 3 different ide cables going into the motherboard, for some odd reason....

I'll go grab my cam and take a pic in a sec

And yea, ur right, my usb is not 2.0, it's 1.1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online