1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How's ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robawalsh, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robawalsh

robawalsh Thread Starter

I'm thinking of buyinga laptop with it in.

I don't mean hardcore top-graphic gaming, just occasional gaming. I need it to be able to play new games like COD4, SWAT4 etc. but i don't need top-quality graphics - so long as it plays it i'm fine.

Also, i would like it to be smooth - not jumpy - is this down to the graphics card or the computer's RAM/Precessor speed?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, laptops are NOT for gaming. While you can probably run the games you want, you will be in somewhat reduced settings for the game. Whether it plays smoothly or not, is another matter.

If you want to game with a laptop, then checkout some that are really made to do so; ie alienware, etc.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. robawalsh

robawalsh Thread Starter

Laptops are fine for gaming - so long as you're not a hardcore gamer seeking top-qualty settings.
    Read this:
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030093,49273226,00.htm

I have a budget of less than £300, and I found a great Dell with 2GB RAM, 1.86Ghz processor and windows preinstalled within my budget - but the graphics card is ATI Radeon Xpess 1150.
    For my budget, Alienware is not an option.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well you can either satisfy your gaming desire or your budget - but that laptop won't do both in what would be a satisfactory manner. There's nothing great about that laptop; budget processor and budget graphics.

6. robawalsh

robawalsh Thread Starter

Thanks. I think I will buy this laptop.

So the X1150 has some dedicated memory, and the laptop i'm looking to buy has 2GB of RAM and a 1.86Ghz processor. So I think the laptop will be fine for me - i'm looking to game occasionally, but I have a budget and don't need high settings.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As posted you cannot have it both ways; cheap laptop that will run games well. You need to decide what you want. The video chip that laptop has will most likely run games however with detail turned way down, etc.
    BTW that uses system ram so you would NOT have 2gig available for the os, etc. Some system ram is used to run the video.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt that Dell provides any dedicated video memory for the GPU.

9. robawalsh

robawalsh Thread Starter

How much system RAM (approx, on average) do most integrated GPU's use? And if you know, how much does the ATI Radeon X1150 use?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a bios setting. You can set whatever you want ie 512, 256, etc [within the limits of the bios]

11. robawalsh

robawalsh Thread Starter

So does that mean that I can set the ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 to use 512mb ram from the system ram?
    How much should i set for a 2GB RAM notebook with 2.0GHz processor before it starts to slow down?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How long is a rope?

Any ram you use for video will slow down the system. It is just a matter of how much you want to slow down the system. This is why laptops are not made for gaming [unless you buy something like an alienware, etc]

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice