1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hows to delete an account from (C:)\Users ? (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Canada23, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Canada23

Canada23 Thread Starter

Hi, a family member created an account which I have deleted from Control Panel>Users Account...But when I went to Computer>(C:)>Users and right clicked delete on the File name, the following happened:

Are you sure you want to move this folder to the Recycle Bin? > Clicked Yes.
    You need to confirm this Operation. > Clicked Continue.
    Windows need permission..> Allowed.

Got the following:
    You need permission to perform this action > Clicked Try again...Same box pops up.

I've went to security of the file, changed to full authority, and even tried the Run, takeown/icacl (I received success message for both, but still wasn't able to delete the file).

Any help please?!?!

Thanks,

2. oksteve

oksteve

Go inside that file and delete the contents one by one then delete the exterior one

3. Canada23

Canada23 Thread Starter

I did already...but still can't..(n)

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's terrible and inaccurate advice.

If you want to delete an account, you have to use account management in the Control Panel. Attempting to delete system files will only result in problems.

5. Canada23

Canada23 Thread Starter

Account Management? You mean User Account? I already did that, but the file would still be stored under (C: )..hence taking up space..

6. oksteve

oksteve

of course you are not advised to delete system files, where does Canada say they were trying too? The files associated with the account I assumed were regular text,video,pictures etc taken up in the HDD by the user to be removed !

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Folders in C:\Users contain system files.

8. oksteve

oksteve

no your wrong, maybe in your perfect HDD but in mine and I am sure in many other ordinary peoples too. There are all sorts of files as I mentioned above.
    But we are here to help not bicker . If you can DH please do so. I am big enough to admit defeat on this one.

I wonder what I will be like after 14000 posts ?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I didn't see the part of the original post that said the account was already removed through account management. I get very concerned when someone recommends deleting system files. And, oksteve, a folder in the C:\Users\ directory is a system folder. The contents of Documents, Music, and Videos are not system files and are certainly safe to delete, but the parent folders and other files and folders in profile directories are system files, and the consequences of deleting those manually can cause serious system problems. I've seen it happen.

I've always deleted the user's profile before deleting the account, and that should properly delete the account's folder in C:\Users. Unfortunately, it's too late for that. I can't tell you what the consequences would be to force the deletion of the profile system folders. I would suggest deleting the contents of the data folders and just leave the rest alone. I doubt it takes up that much space, and you can verify that by using a program like TreeSize.

Many people here have literally cleaned their systems to death trying to reclaim drive space, deleting files and folders to the point where the computer no longer functions correctly. It's better to err on the side of caution.

10. Canada23

Canada23 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, but i think i did something wrong..
    When I created an account, and click on it to log in, it says the user profile cannot log in, loading has failed =S:confused:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice