1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Howto: Format a read-only flash drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tabspace, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

I got a flash drive as a gift from a company. It had some of their promotional material on it. I thought it was a pretty nice gesture, but when I plug it in, it comes up as a CDROM drive and it is read-only. I thought it would be nice if I could actually use this to store my files on, but it is configured like a burnt cd.

Is there any way to make this flash drive work for me, or am I just stuck with their promotional material and might as well trash it because I have already viewed it?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

UPDATE: I just noticed that ther also another removable disk drive that shows up in the disk management. It is not showing up in the explorer. This does let me add and remove files, but I have to manually type in the disk name and I am still unable to format the partition that shows up at CDROM with the files on it.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I believe that what you have is a U3 drive, visit www.u3.com and read all about them. :) You can't change the CD-ROM side of the drive.

3. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

Thanks, John. I took a brief look at the website and it looks pretty cool. I guess since I cannot format the CD portion, I just am wondering why the removable disk drive portion is not showing up and how to get it to show up

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't know why it doesn't show up in My Computer, my U3 drive indeed displays both sides. They could have had custom software for the drive so that it's just used for their presentation. Did you try to assign a drive letter in My Computer to that drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice