1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

howto format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jah, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jah

jah Thread Starter

hi can anyone tell me the different between wriping a hard drive and reformat.
    i go into my computer and right click on my c drive i click format and it wont just want to know how to format,,,,,,,,,and how to wripe my hard drive clean if there is any differents.
    i am running windows xp
    thanks
    if i can had step by step would be great

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i know how to format-
    step by step may be tricky, but i can point you to a site that has everything about formatting and partitioning...
    fdisk.radified.com
    print the instructions there.
    make sure you create- not copy- a windows me boot disk (yes i know you have xp, but the newest fdisk for partitioning is on win me) first.

3. jah

jah Thread Starter

hi
    thanks
    i didnt have any luck with fdisk.radified.com
    can you please tell me why do i need a boot disk
    i somehow reformatted my brothers computer it wouldnt let me format but some how in the bios i got to do it and then again when i had to install windows. I can not remeber how i did it and for my piece of mine it will be good to kinda know it.
    i am a learner to computers so thats why i ask for step by step or in english would be good

4. scmazter

scmazter

Yo, u need a boot disc because windows won't let u format.
    Go to command prompt, put a spare floppy in the floppy drive and type this:
    format a:/s
    That will create a bootable folppy disc. Then type this:
    copy c:/windows/system32/format.exe a:
    Then restart the computer with the floppy still inside.
    Then, it should say a:>, if it doesnt then type a:
    Then type format.exe

I am pritty sure it will work. Don't forget that format will wipe the whole hard disc clean, and every single file on the computer will be lost.

5. jah

jah Thread Starter

thanks so much will that also wripe things on my other drives i mean that i had one drive then got it split into 3
    thanks

6. scmazter

scmazter

No, but all you have to do is repeat the process for every partition.
    If you have 3 of them, it should be like this:
    format c:
    format d:
    format e:

7. jah

jah Thread Starter

hey scmazter thanks alot for your help

8. scmazter

scmazter

No problem at all, that's what I like hearing - people being happy with my advise.
    The only thing left to do for me, is to hope that it will work lol.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You don't need boot disks to format with XP (unless you have some ancient CD-rom). Go into the BIOS and set the CD-rom as the first boot device, then reboot with your XP disc in the drive. You should be offered the choice to reformat any of your existing partitions and reinstall Windows.

You could get a copy of PowerMax and check the fitness of your drive and do a LL format if you want a completely wiped drive to start with (it works with most HD's).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice