1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

howto use subdomains and servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nathanmock, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathanmock

nathanmock Thread Starter

I have windows server 2003 and what i basically want to do is just have a computer in my house to act as the server. i want to setup a subdomain so i can access this computer easily....so how would i go about doing this? I want to use this server for terminal services basically....and i want to be able to type in development.mydomain.com and it would connect to this computer. another thing i want to be able to do with this server is make it so that all computers would login and i can set all the settings in the server and then they would connect through a domain and then i would manage it through the active directory, would i need additional hardware?

links would be helpful :)

2. datamonger

datamonger

nathan,

Microsoft has a step-by-step Win 2003 Server Domain Controller procedure located here.

Next, you will need Win 2000/XP Professional or one of the top two Windows Vista versions installed on all of your workstations for them to be able to control them via the domain controller. XP Home, 95 and 98 cannot become members of the domain.

To run Terminal Services in Application mode requires additional licenses and you will also need to install the Terminal Services License Server and then install and activate the licenses you purchased. This is not required if Administration mode is used (but then only administrators can connect remotely.).

Part of installing the DC portion requires the installation of DNS as well. You can set that up to resolve your server's name to an IP but it will require all of your workstations to use the server for their DNS server.

You would not need additional hardware as long as your system meets the minimum requirements. I would recommend that you use the suggested requirements and bump the system RAM up as high as you can afford (especially if terminal services are involved).

Make a checklist. Printout the procedures or have them available on a laptop and Good Luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice