HOWTO: Writing to Windows 2000/XP (NTFS partition) from Linux.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LinuxIsCool

Banned
HOWTO. Writing to your Windows 2000/XP
NTFS partition from Linux.

Interested in using Captive to WRITE TO YOUR WINDOWS 2000/XP PARTITIONS (formatted with NTFS). Then click here:

The site also provides a script to walk you through a GENTOO LINUX INSTALLATION.

Even if you do not use the scripts the information on this page will make the installation much easier.

And code for JAVASCRIPT MOVIES (and a few to watch).

Also has a section on how to REMIX YOUR 14 Debian CDs as 2 DVDs.

LinuxIsCool

Banned
I want windows users to see this so that they will know that they can write to their windows partitions from Linux.

This makes a Linux partition, on a windows box, much more attractive.

Having both systems (windows and Linux) on the same box gives one the best of both worlds.

jrbuergel

Jim
I have XP Home installed on a newer hard drive, and Linux SUSE 9.0 installed on my older hard drive, both inside the same computer, with a dual boot capability. So will this work for me in this system, so I can write to my XP partition from the Linux drive?

LinuxIsCool

Banned
You have to use LUFS (linux user space filesystem).

This was the precursor of FUSE (filesystem in user space).

LUFS is unmaintained software, so for later 2.6 kernels it is not that easily used.

Easier to upgrade to SuSE 10.0 -- the 5 CD version is a free download -- and use FUSE.

ALTERNATIVELY

you can download the source code for the 2.6.14 kernel and compile a kernel with FUSE support (either compiled into the kernel itself or a module).

LinuxIsCool

Banned
jrbuergel said:
I have XP Home installed on a newer hard drive, and Linux SUSE 9.0 installed on my older hard drive, both inside the same computer, with a dual boot capability. So will this work for me in this system, so I can write to my XP partition from the Linux drive?
I just noticed that you have two separate harddrives. The way to get that setup correctly, is to mount your 2nd harddrive read only (just as you have been able to do for years). Then, when you run the install script for Captive, it will find the necessary files and after a reboot you will be able to mount your 2nd harddrive read/write.

If you do not like that option, manually transfer the necessary files to /var/lib/captive/ and every thing will work after running the install scrip and a reboot.

LinuxIsCool

You have started 4 threads here. Each one is promoting your site and your Linux tools. Basically you are spamming our forum. This is your first and final warning. Don't start any more threads of this sort.

If you want to help in threads where this info is pertinent, That is fine but this is unacceptable.

LinuxIsCool

Banned
Flrman1 complains:

You are spamming a forum called forums.techguy.org with technical information on computers. Sob, sob. How dare you.

You are spamming this forum with helpful information. Sob, sob. How dare you.

You are spamming this forum with nearly 100kb of files when harddisks are hundreds of gigabytes in size. Sob, sob. How dare you.

You sir Flrman1 have proved yourself a complete idiot and your motives are entirely suspect.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Some people just don't want to play nicely... LinuxIsCool banned for duplicate threads, advertising, and being rude.

Firman, even if I didn't have anything to do with this topic or another persons actions. I'd like to apologise on behalf of this subsection of the forums for the general rudeness that came from one of our members.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online