HowToInstallWindowsXP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AntonABC

I purchased Windows XP Professional but have troubles to install.

It seems I have two options :
a) Install a New Copy ( CleanInstall )
b) Upgrade.( I guess from what I use now which is Windows 98SE )

a)
I reformatted by hard drive in order to have a clean hard drive.When trying
to install XP by using my CD I get the error message: cannot be launched
from DOS.

My questions: what is meant by a CleanInstall ?

b) Suppose I use the upgrade option ( XP over W98 ) will it erase
any part of W98 ?

Your help is appreciated.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Set your bios to boot from the CD drive first. You can boot from the cd and the install will start. From there you can delete and create partitions as well as format the partitions. You no longer need a floppy boot disk to do any of this.

I do not advise doing the upgrade option. I do software support for a company and we always run into issues with People who upgraded windows 98 to XP. We always have to help them fix their computer before our software will work correctly because something got screwed up during the upgrade.

Do a clean install. Delete any existing partitions during the install recreate a new one.

AntonABC

Squashman said:
Set your bios to boot from the CD drive first. You can boot from the cd and the install will start. From there you can delete and create partitions as well as format the partitions. You no longer need a floppy boot disk to do any of this.

I do not advise doing the upgrade option. I do software support for a company and we always run into issues with People who upgraded windows 98 to XP. We always have to help them fix their computer before our software will work correctly because something got screwed up during the upgrade.

Do a clean install. Delete any existing partitions during the install recreate a new one.
Thanks.But reformatting the hard drive prior to install XP is the way to do it ?

AntonABC said:
Thanks.But reformatting the hard drive prior to install XP is the way to do it ?
Yes, definately, if you want to be sure of everything. As mentioned above, it can ALL be done by booting from the XP CD.

I'd backup any data you need to keep, then set the machine to boot from Cd in the BIOS, drop in the XP CD, and reboot. Go on from there.

Scorp.

boot from cd then choose "leave files intact" this will not format the HD, but it will install XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online